heat lamp on with mommy & chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by branston, Sep 25, 2011.

1. branston

branston Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Virginia
    After Big Mama hatched her chicks I decided to put a heat lamp on the brooder. The brooder is a large dog crate and the nest box she's in with the chicks is a cat box that I've attached to the crate, so they have a run area to come out to. I thought the heat lamp would help Big Mama keep the babies warm and I have left it on for the last 3 days 24/7. It's on the opposite end of the dog crate. Now I'm wondering if that's the right thing to do for Big Mama? Does she need dark time?

2. CrazyCatNChickenLady

CrazyCatNChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2010
    Berry Creek, Ca
    Big mama runs at about 107* and she can produce enough heat to keep the babies warm enough. I would remove the light.

3. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Where do you live? Feathered chicks with mommy can stand plenty of cold. I did not say wind or draft but cold. Try and keep them out of a drafty direction. I’m in Oregon and we have rain today but yesterday was 85* and was 60's into the night. My girls won’t even need a light or momma. If using the heater make sure they can get out and away from the heat too.

Steve

4. Terri O

Terri O Chillin' With My Peeps

NO supplemental heat necessary...I have had hens with babies in the dead of winter (dumb hens) that keep the babies nice and toasty even when it's below zero. That is the beauty of using a broody hen...no extra costs for heat. Good luck with your little family! Terri O

5. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    I just had babies under mama when it was about 35F outside. They were fine. Mama is plenty warm! No need for a light.

6. branston

branston Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Virginia
    Thanks so much everyone! I truly appreciate everyone's advice and info

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by