Heat Lamp or No Heat Lamp (10 day old chicks)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by rhino533, May 19, 2011.

1. rhino533

rhino533 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    Thailand
    I live in a hot and humid climate. (Thailand) I have four 10day old chicks which I hatched from my incubator. The temp in the day here is around 32-38c and at night around 25-28c. Do I need to keep them under a Lamp? I had them under a Lamp for the first few days but I think it was to hot so I stopped using it. How old do you think they should be before I let them live permanently outside? They are in the house for now.

2. truebluexf

truebluexf Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    I think they need heat at night for another week maybe, but I don't think they need it during the day. My guess would be they can outside very soon!

Last edited: May 19, 2011
  3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Those temps in Fahrenheit, common to the US, is 90-100 during the day and 80 at night. Your chicks won't require anything during the day. At night, I would be cautious about giving them much additional lamp heat. Just be sure they have space to move away from the light. Be cautious about hydration. Watch for lifting wings and open mouths and panting, as these are signs of over heating. Your chicks won't likely need anything for more than 10 days at most, which they already are.
    I'd say unless temperature should drop, for some reason, you're all done.

4. rhino533

rhino533 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    Thailand
    Fred's Hens :

Those temps in Fahrenheit, common to the US, is 90-100 during the day and 80 at night. Your chicks won't require anything during the day. At night, I would be cautious about giving them much additional lamp heat. Just be sure they have space to move away from the light. Be cautious about hydration. Watch for lifting wings and open mouths and panting, as these are signs of over heating. Your chicks won't likely need anything for more than 10 days at most, which they already are.
    I'd say unless temperature should drop, for some reason, you're all done.

I've noticed their feet have been hot. Is this another way they cool down? Losing heat trough their feet.​

5. Blue

Blue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2010
    Virginia
    I don't know if chickens lose heat through their feet, but it's certainly possible. I'd say if their feet are feeling hot, then you may not need a heat lamp at all as they may be getting too much heat.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by