Heat lamp or no ?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jcriscio, Oct 14, 2016.

1. jcriscio

jcriscio Just Hatched

Aug 15, 2016
    Northford Ct
    So I've got eleven 8 week old chickens and two 7 weeks olds they have been in the coop for about two weeks now I use a red heat lamp at night and they seem fine I let them out all day it gets to about 40's - 60's during the day and they seem good but I wanna cut the heat lamp off at night and it gets to about 38 degrees at night right now . Should I keep it on for another couple of weeks or cut it totally at night ?? I don't wanna cut it when it's like 25 out and they don't have a chance to acclimate lol

2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Cut it now. They don't need it. If you wait longer it's going to make the difference in temp more noticeable.

3. jcriscio

jcriscio Just Hatched

Aug 15, 2016
    Northford Ct
    I figured it would I started giving them cracked corn tonight before I put them in the coop. Ok what I will do is get a red nightlight because I know the red light sooths them tomorrow and cut it starting tomorrow night .. I feared keeping it on then god forbid I loose power in a snow storm when it 10 degrees out and they all die because they can't acclimate lol thanks for the help

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by