Heat lamp or no

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by taz0812, Aug 18, 2019.

1. taz0812

taz0812 Chirping

Jun 20, 2015
    I live in Michigan and I have 2 4 week old pekins. They have been outside in their coop since they were a week old. Keeping in mind our temps are 70s and 80s in the day and 50s and 60s at night, should I still be using a heat lamp at night. They are starting to get their feathers but not all in yet.

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Wrangler

Do they lay up under the heat? Usually Pekins are the first to show they don’t need heat by panting. Go by what your seeing if they aren’t laying under the lamp at all then take it away for good. If they use it some try turning it off during the day so they begin to acclimate to the outside temps. They will also feather in quicker.

3. taz0812

taz0812 Chirping

Jun 20, 2015
    They don't seem to lay under it. They are only locked in their coop at night. During the day they swim in our pond most of the day. I have noticed some panting. I just don't want them to get too hot. They are pretty big already and they do sleep together which I'm sure helps with body heat

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Wrangler

I'd take it away. As long as they are dry before bed and not in a draft I am sure they are going to be fine. don't forget we always want pics too.

5. WannaBeHillBilly

WannaBeHillBilly Crossing the Road

Sep 2, 2018
    Big Chimney, WV
    My Coop
    Agree on both, the unnecessary heat lamp and the pictures you owe us! ;)
    Having a heat source is (imho) overrated for ducklings. They have a much faster metabolism than chicks, keets or poults, they are larger and they also like to pile up, regardless of heat or cold. I moved my 4 weeks old ducklings from my office to the garage in February this year. They had a heat-cave and a heat lamp and usually slept at the other end of the brooder, snuggled against each other. Remember, ducklings are wearing a built-in down jacket…

6. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

Heat isn't needed anymore..Feathers will come in quickly as they harden off to outside temperature.

7. taz0812

taz0812 Chirping

Jun 20, 2015
    These pics were taken Aug 9th. So they are bigger now. I don't know why I'm having a hard time with this heat thing. I owned a couple ducks a few years ago and don't remember having this issue. So tonight I put a 40 watt bulb in there and then checked on them and they seemed to be panting a bit so I turned it off and they acted like they were afraid without it on. Have you had a duck afraid of the dark?

Attached Files:

8. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Partially Enlightened

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    I vote no on the heat.

9. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Wrangler

If they are use to a light they will be afraid for a few days. Try a very low night light for a couple days then turn it off. Gradually get them use to no light. Plus incandescent lights disrupt normal sleep so best not to use them.

10. Mybackyardpeepers

Mybackyardpeepers Crowing

Mar 22, 2019
    Michigan
    I just was blessed with baby ducklings, they do not have heat on them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: