heat lamp outdoors?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by crystal94040, Nov 10, 2007.

1. crystal94040

crystal94040 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2007
    about 2 weeks ago I moved my 7 chickens outside. I put a heat lamp in their hen house because the temperature can dip into the 40's over night and it's around 60 during the day....they seem to enjoy it and huddle under it at night.
    My husband is trying to convince me that this really is not necessary and that they huddle together at night no matter what.
    They are 2 months old...do they still need the heat lamp?

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

No, it's no longer necessary. At 6.5 weeks I kicked mine out without heat lamps and the temps at night reached mid 40s with day's in the upper 50's.

3. crystal94040

crystal94040 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2007
    really? I feel so bad for them! haha it gets cold!

4. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    I agree with silkiechicken unless they are not fully feathered. Then I might leave the light for a few more weeks then I would gradually raise the heat lamp so they get use to the colder temp. I guess going cold turkey [​IMG] seems a little harsh.

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I'm about to put some chicks out with a heat lamp-some are four weeks old and some are just two weeks old. The temps are in the 30's and 40's right now and are supposed to hold that way for a week or more before dipping lower. They'll have a 125 watt heat lamp and a 100 watt red floodlight about two ft from the first one.
    I'd probably still have the 125 on them if they were all six weeks old, but I'd hang it higher so they could get directly under it if they needed any extra heat, whereas right now, it's hanging about 2 ft above the ground. At two months, they should be okay, though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by