heat lamp over winter?????

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Picc-WA-Girl, Sep 2, 2011.

1. Picc-WA-Girl

Picc-WA-Girl New Egg

Aug 16, 2011
    \\My chicks are 5 weeks and just moved into their new coop. Currently I have the heat lamp in the coop. Do you turn the light on in the winter when it's in the 20's and 30's? assuming they're grown up by then or are they acclimated and don't require it anymore. at this point we don't know the sex, although we do the guessing game. 4 easter eggers 1 golden wheaten 3 light sussex and the other 4 I can't remember. They have been such a plesent experience.

2. patman75

patman75 Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a light in the winter to make sure they keep laying eggs.

Where do you live? I do not use a heat lamp in the winter and I'm in Michigan.

3. ThomsonCentennialFarm

ThomsonCentennialFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2011
    Holliday, Missouri
    Chickens generally do not need a heat source in the winter as long as there aren't any drafts in the coop. They will huddle together and fluff up their feathers to keep warm.

4. Picc-WA-Girl

Picc-WA-Girl New Egg

Aug 16, 2011
    I live in Gig Harbor WA and thanks for the replys:cool:

5. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    In washington they will be fine without heat. All my chickens were in uninsulated coops last winter and we stayed well below zero for most of it, all the way down to -25. Bantams/Leghorns did fine also! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by