Heat lamp problems

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Kathy1, Jun 12, 2008.

1. Kathy1

Kathy1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Well I have them and they are adorable, We named them Rhoda and Shelly. I will post pics soon.

I did have trouble with the heat lamp the temp went up to 107 at 1 am so we took it out then put a lamp in and the temp this am was 75-81 ish I have 2 thermoms in there They seemed fine,I know it is supposed to be 95 but will those temps from last nite hurt them? They were eating and drinking and I have them in my back hall which gets very warm with the door cracked to the kitchen where the central air is. I plan on going home at lunch to check on them, I am not too worried about the daytime temps as the feed store farm guy had them out side yesterday when we picked them up he said he would put them under heat last nite. He said they don't need it during the day as the temps at in the 80's

So I have no heat lamp on at the moment, because I am afraid it will get tooooo hot for them. But where they are is one of the warmest places in the house. I think I will have to move them to a different room when I go home,

How do you all get the heat lamp to work properly any tips are appreciated.
    Thanks

Last edited: Jun 12, 2008
  2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I just use a heatlamp with a clamp put a reg. 60, 75 or 100 light bulb in it and adjust it higher or lower on the brooder box til I get the right temp right under the lamp for the chicks when I'm brooding them in the house...make sure your brooder box is big enough that they can get away from the heated side if they need too...and don't keep the food and water under the heated side but off to where the water won't be too warm for them....

3. Kathy1

A regular bulb? I bought one of those big ones. [​IMG] Ok so I will use a regular bulb in the big hooded lamp at night, and in the daytime they are ok at regular temps right?? So I do not need the heat lamp during the day??

4. Tuffoldhen

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    In the house this time of year and winter I just use a regular light bulb...only time they need those big 250 watt bulbs is if they are outdoors in a coop or brooder box in an unheated building....

I leave the light bulb on 24 hours a day and just adjust it each week depending on the temps in the house...day olds or week olds need the warmth, my opinion...

5. NS2A

NS2A Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2007
    Minnesota
    As long as they can get away from the heat, they'll be fine. I had mine in the garage when it'd get to 20 degrees at night and they move into and out of the heat as they'd deem necessary.

It's worse to let them get too COLD as we had a neighbor that lost a bunch of chicks as they piled on eachother. Too hot is bad, but if they can move, not the worst thing in the world.

6. Kathy1

They are in the house and will be for a bit, I am just concered that they NEED the temps to survive and that I will mess it up. I feel better now thank you lol I am going home to check on them soon, then I will feel more relieved. Why do they stress that you need 95 degress temps, or is that just for the colder nights ie winter?

7. Tuffoldhen

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Chicks chill very easy and die...they need the temps starting at 95 for the first week just like the temps would be under a hen that keeps them warm...when they start to get cold they run back to momma to keep them warm...5 degrees less each week as they get older....the whole brooder box does not need to be at the correct temp its just the space under the heatlamp so if they get cold they can warm again....the brooder box needs to be big enough they can get away from that temp if they need too...

8. Kathy1

Oh, gotcha, it is and I do have the food and water water from the lighted area, I am going home in a few too see them, and more then to a different room so they do not get over heated. They sure are cute! I will post a follow up! [​IMG]

9. painter chick

painter chick Out Of The Brooder

Jun 12, 2008
    Leelanau county MI
    Hello all, I am planning to use a large water trough in our garage and with 26 chicks do I need 2 lights to give them enough space? I was going to put a divider board in the tank for a few days and then open the whole area to them as they grow and what is the best bedding? should I get woodshavings (ceadr or pine), I was going to layer paper on the bottom and put the shavings on top, any advice for easy clean up? Thanks

10. Tuffoldhen

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Depending on your weather I would say one heatlamp would be enough, you just have to watch how the chicks are reacting to the warmth and if they need more add it.....

You do NOT use cedar bedding with chicks or chickens it is bad for their breathing and can kill them....newspaper is slick and can cause spaddle leg to happen....I would just use the woodshavings but put paper towels or old bath towels on top for a few days if they are day olds....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by