HEAT LAMP QUESTION FOR BABY CHICKS

abottrell

Songster
6 Years
May 9, 2015
Utah
I am a 1st time chicken owner, and my other chicks are good, but I have 4 2-5 week old chicks. 3 are about 2 weeks old, and the other is about 4-5. I was wondering if i need the Heat lamp on at all times? It doesnt look like they even go under it, and always huddle together on the opposite end of the brooder box.

Where is your brooder box? Outside? Inside with A/C? If you chicks are outside and it is staying warm, a simple 75 - 100 watt bulb will do, mostly at night. If they are inside, they'll need the bulb 24 hours until fully feathered. If you don't notice them huddling and trying to stay warm, they probably won't need it much longer than a few weeks until the feather come in.

It is inside the house. We are not running the AC or the heater right now.. perfect weather... ;) i have a 250 W red bulb, that's what the feed store said i needed. I am using a wire dog kennel with cardboard taped to the sides and door. I have the bulb hanging in there, it is as high as i can get it, so maybe i can just get a lower watt bulb?

If they are on the other side it may be too hot and/or too close to them. Is there a way to move it up a bit? I like to heat one end so they can regulate their own temps by moving in and out. Do you have a thermometer? at 3 weeks old it should be about 80 degrees for them at least in one end of the brooder.

Yes get a lower wattage bulb. By crowding the sides that are telling you they are too warm.

Your 4 to 5 week old probably doesn’t need any heat inside your house, though I’m not sure how cool it actually gets in there. I’ve had chicks under 6 weeks old go through nights that hit freezing. The two week olds probably do need some heat but not nearly as much as many people believe.

What you should shoot for is to keep one area warm enough so they can go warm up if they need to, but the rest of it needs to be cooler. That way they can find a place where they are comfortable.

It appears to be about 90-95 directly under the lamp, and then the area that they like to lay in is 80*.

With chicks that old I don't think you need an area 90 degrees and the side at 80 might even be uncomfortable for the older chicks. Can you back the light off at all?

I'd switch to a lower wattage bulb and note where they congregate. If they're too wam they'll huddle away from the heat. If they're cold they'll huddle under the heat. I would only be concerned for the younger ones. The older ones should start to acclimate to changing temps in preparation for going outdoors.

i think i will go look for a lower wattage bulb tomorrow.. the chicks congregate on the complete opposite side of the brooder than the heat lamp.

Back
Top Bottom