heat lamp question

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by kyrose, Dec 31, 2009.

1. kyrose

kyrose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    Melbourne,Ky.
    i was wondering if the 250 watt heat lamps bother the chickens when they want to sleep.i put 2 in tonight cause they are saying that we are getting an arctic blast this week and i wanted to make sure i placed them right.every time i check on them they are running around not sleeping.maybe 2 is to much?
    thanks

2. TipsyDog

TipsyDog Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2009
    Aregua, Paraguay
    You should be using the RED lamps. Doesn't bother the birds as much as the white. White = daylight so they'll stay up and get stressed. Also, I would try 1 lamp first and see if it handles the temperature. Maybe 2 aren't required.

3. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

I hang mine about 1 1/2 feet above the floor. The lamp dome shades the roosts pretty well & the heat rises to the birds.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2009
  4. kyrose

Jul 29, 2009
    Melbourne,Ky.
    Quote:thanks,i forgot to say i was using a red one.ill try just 1 i was worrying about the d'uccles,theyre sooooo small.im a worry wart.[​IMG]

5. kyrose

Jul 29, 2009
    Melbourne,Ky.
    Quote:these are small birds and they dont roost...

6. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

D'uccles rule![​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2009
  7. TipsyDog

TipsyDog Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2009
    Aregua, Paraguay
    Yup, try 1 first and check the temp. I have 2 in my coop but I only use one on a thermostat most nights. If it goes below zero degrees then I use both. Depends how big your coop is too. Stay warm & happy New Year! [​IMG]

8. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I agree...try just one initially. And it really should be the red bulbs. Please wire the lamp(s) up...don't use a clamp. It would be great if your lamp base has the guard bars on it too. Just be as safe with them as possible! You guy will probably have temps. similar to ours, so the real cold snap will hit in the next day or two...brrrrrrr!

9. MakNat

MakNat Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Ky
    Just one! They'll find it if they need it!! [​IMG]

10. kyrose

Jul 29, 2009
    Melbourne,Ky.
    Quote:im afraid i have to agree..[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by