Heat Lamp Question!!

shellybean40

Songster
13 Years
Apr 15, 2010
Boerne, TX
I have heard that red heat lamps are best because they help everyone settle down, etc. BUT, that said, it is getting warm here and no matter how high I put it, it was too hot in the brooder. If I turn it off, it is too cool. SO, I put a 100 watt bulb in there and the temp is perfect. Should i be concerned for the chick's health? Are there 100 watt red bulbs?

Right now I have two brooders set up, this is the first time I have used a red lamp and boy what a difference, those chicks are calm, non pecking and seemed more relaxed. I do not know what the difference is but I will be looking this weekend for a 125 watt infared red bulb to switch to from the hardware store. It does seem to run hotter and that is why I want a 125 watt, I do not know if they make them.

I start mine out on a 90 watt reg bulb then decrease from there 75, 60,40, none by the time I get to none they are ready for the outside I have brooded 3 sets with this method and except for the 2 I lost to a snake (I missed it the first time around but got it the 2nd time) they are all doing fine and growing like pigs with feathers let the chicks tell you what they need after awhile you will know what they need by the chirping like you would with a babies cry.

Good Luck to you

Back
Top Bottom