Heat Lamp Question?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by nuttyredhead, Jun 17, 2011.

1. nuttyredhead

nuttyredhead Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Southern NH
    My chicks are 2 1/2 weeks old, and i have 16. The are in the coop in a large dog cage and the heat lamp in hanging from the ceiling (held by 2 different locations). We would like to just let them in the coop without the cage but i am not sure how to deal with the heat lamp. We do have a light fixture in the coop for winter lighting, could i put a heat light bulb in there? Im not sure that would give them enough heat. Any thoughts?

Oh yes the coop is pretador safe, and ventalated also.

2. VelvettFog

VelvettFog Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    Yakima, WA
    Can you hang the heat lamp from the ceiling of the coop?

That's what I did.

[​IMG]

3. nuttyredhead

May 3, 2010
    Southern NH
    Quote:That is what I was thinking of doing, wasnt sure how safe it was. Your setup looks nice!

4. VelvettFog

VelvettFog Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    Yakima, WA
    The weight of the lamps is held by a small chain - not the power cord for the light bulb. Don't use the cord to hold the weight. The chain also allows me to raise the lights as the birds get bigger.

5. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    That's essentially what I do, I brood only in the coop, but I have a third line securing the light. A little paranoid about fire -- and I haven't had one, or had even one line fail or come loose. The light doesn't hang from its cord, but the cord is arranged so that it could if the other two failed somehow.

6. chickenbythesea

chickenbythesea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Nova Scotia
    ours are the same... in the house in a lg dog crate. We hope to be moving them to the coop on monday (just waiting for descent weather... we've had almost 3 months of non stop rain) and we're just going to hang the heat lamp low like it is in the dog crate. I worry about fire but I'll have to chance it because they can't stay in the house forever.

7. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

You can get a screw in socket with a pull chain and a plug in on the side. Then you can still ahve the ceiling lamp for light but be able to plug the heat lamp in and hang it at a level that the chicks need

8. nuttyredhead

May 3, 2010
    Southern NH
    I went and picked up some extra hardware so I can have an extra line to the lamp, just to be safe!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by