Heat Lamp Question

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lishah2000, May 13, 2008.

1. lishah2000

lishah2000 Chillin' With My Peeps

Hello,

I have seven chicks that range from 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 weeks in age. They are outside in the coop with a lamp for heat. It is warm here ranging from 85 to 90 in the day and 65 to 75 at night. I monitor the temps. under the lamp and away from it and turn the light off during the day. It stays pretty warm under the light, usually between 80 and 90. During the day without the light it stays in the same range.

My question/observation: They are still sleeping under the lamp after dark and they always sleep together. Not on top of each other, but all next to each other. Heads laying over each other sometimes. During the day, they sometimes settle apart, but when they get ready to sleep, they all move together.

Is this normal? Should I leave the lamp as it is? They do seem scared if it gets dark and the light is off.

Thank you.

2. Josie

Josie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    California
    I would go ahead and leave the lamp in there just like you have it. The temps are right for their age. My chickies always snuggle. Even after they are adults they like to sleep near to each other. Its really quite cute.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by