Heat lamp question.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Tigertrea, Apr 16, 2012.

1. Tigertrea

Tigertrea Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2012
    LaSalle Ontario Canada
    My hubby bought a 100W red bulb for our brooder. I am wanting to get things set up before I get them tomorrow and am wondering, from those with experience, approximately how high to hang he lamp. I am using a large plastic tote for the first few days/weeks to help contain the heat.

Does anyone have a way of telling, without chicks or thermometer, if the temp is "about right"?

TIA!!

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

If you are brooding in a 60F-70F or warmer, house/basement type environment, the red 100watt lamp is likely quite adequate. Attach it to a cross bar 2x4 or similar to prevent any fire issues. Never trust the clamp alone.

Start out by positioning the lamp 14-16" above the bedding. That will provide a maximum hot spot. You'll like raise it 3" by week 3 to cool it off a bit.

The issue really is this. Create TWO zones in the brooder. One hot. One cool. Then? The temps with specificity just isn't all that important. The chicks naturally, instinctively regulate themselves. They gather under the lamp when cold and move away from it when they over heat.

If they chirp, chirp loudly and wildly, they are cold. If they stand with wings held out and mouths open? They are cooking and dangerously hot. That's it. You and they will do just fine.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2012
  3. Tigertrea

Tigertrea Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2012
    LaSalle Ontario Canada
    Thanks. They will be in an unheated area of the house. Great info, even better, my guess was about right! LOL I have 2 different pens to use, the first is the large plastic tote, the other is an older 4X4 playpen. (knew I had hung onto it for nearly 20yrs for a reason!)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by