Heat lamp question

Larry in Hawaii

In the Brooder
Mar 27, 2015
Big Island, Hawaii
Our new girls are 2 weeks old today and for the most part they like being under the 100 watt bulb above there cage...from time to time they will lay away from the heat. My question is how long to leave the heat on...yea I know, it's a loaded question.

We live in Hawaii and in this part of the Island it's warm...day time 75-90 and at night into the low 60's so we are warmer than most of the Country. I read that some people put their chicks outside with temps in the 40's. So how long is long enough for them to need the heat lamp?

Thanks for the help,
Larry

I kept mine in a spare bathroom with room temperature at 75 they seemed comfortable with that so I never really used a heat source and they did great you could try cutting it off and see how they do

We have the girls inside in a large cage (pen) I built that is placed inside a large room where we keep 16 cats (we have a dog and cat rescue as well) with a 100 watt bulb hanging over the top and we keep watching and so far they are not getting hot...there is room for them to get away from the heat when needed. And by the way, there is a wall between the chicks and the cats...a screen door where the cats can watch everything going on.

Back
Top Bottom