Heat Lamp Questions

Featherwisp

Songster
10 Years
May 18, 2009
Middle Tennessee
So far, I have everything set up for the chicks we will be getting in about 5 days.
The only thing I am missing is the correct heat lamp/bulb.

I went looking around in the basement and found a reflector lamp. It can only withstand a wattage of a 150 bulb though.

I came across a 100w bulb, so I stuck it into the lamp and it seemed to produce quite a bit of heat.
The temps average around here 70-high 80's in the day time, and 60'-high 70's at night.
Do you think the bulb and lamp would be suitable for about 3 or 4 chicks?

( BTW, I can bring the lamp about 2 ft away from the brooder at the farthest, and 16 inches at the closest.)

Do you have a thermometer that you can test with? Just put it in the bottom of the brooder and see how hot it gets. It takes the guesswork out of it if you want to know before the chicks arrive. Congrats on the new arrivals!

I do have a thermometer already setup. It reads at 80 degrees right now.

When I set everything up to test the 100w white bulb, it rose to about 85 degrees in 5 minutes. Thats when the screen I used to cover the top of the brooder started melting!!
somad.gif
hit.gif
Im going to have to replace it with galvanized chicken wire.

Im glad I'm doing all of this testing now, so I wont run into these issues when I actually have the chicks.
cool.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom