1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

heat lamp safety

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by frankenchick, Jan 5, 2008.

1. frankenchick

frankenchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    Benton Twp., Michigan
    What are some things one should do to make using heat lamps safer?

We have the clamp-on type with the porcelain base and the 250 watt bulb. We drove nails into the wall studs, then looped the clamps over them so that they can't slide down or pop off.

What else should be done?

2. SweetLilRachy00

SweetLilRachy00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2007
    Simpsonville, SC
    Make sure that the chickens can't roost close enough to the bulb to catch fire. Make sure the bulb isn't close to anything to catch fire. Make sure the water can not turn the bulb, if splashed or flipped over. (Ask me how I know!)

3. nccountrygirl

nccountrygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Sanford N.C.
    I'll bite, how do you know?

4. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Better to have a second thing they hang from too, independant of your first means of hanging the lamp. Like the emergency chains on a trailer, sorta. Just cuz you can't imagine something falling or getting knocked down doesn't meam it can't happen.

Also as a last bit of protection it's best to keep those two wire guards on, so it will not lie flat on the litter if it falls.

Being acquainted with too many barn fire stories from working with horses, though, I'd say the biggest safety measure for heat lamps is to use them only when absolutely necessary and unavoidable <shrug>

Pat

5. spottedtail

spottedtail Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2007
    Minnesota
    Yeah to what Pat said.
    Only use them when there's positively no alternative.

We only use them for brooding chicks. That's with two independant chains screwed into studs.
    And be sure the cord is fastened in such a way that it cannot fall on or near the heat.

spot

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by