Heat Lamp size

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jlbunney, Mar 20, 2015.

1. jlbunney

jlbunney New Egg

May 9, 2014
    Idaho
    Hello all,
    We are getting our first chicks in a week and I have a brooder all ready but I need to know what size of heat lamp will provide enough heat?? The lamp will be 2 feet above the floor of the brooder. Thank you for any help you can give.

2. 21hens-incharge

21hens-incharge Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    You will need a thermometer to measure the temp in the brooder and then select or place the heat lamp so the brooder can maintain a proper temp for the little ones.

Great information about brooding chicks here

http://beautyofbirds.com/brooders.html

3. TheChickGirl01

TheChickGirl01 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2015
    Most of it will depend on how many chicks you are getting and how big you brooder is. I just got 8 chicks today and I have mine in a Rubbermaid tub it is approximately 3 feet long and 1 foot high. There is a piece of plywood over top with a hole in it for the heat lamp. I use a regular heat lamp "base" and a 60 watt heat lamp bulb. so far mine seem to be doing awesome. hope this helps!

4. Odelia

Odelia Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2014
    Idaho
    Heat lamps are usually a pretty standard size. What you would change is either the height or the wattage of the bulb.

5. 21hens-incharge

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    Do you have openings for air flow so they do not suffocate?

6. TheChickGirl01

Mar 20, 2015
    Yes the heat lamp is maybe an inch from the plywood. Also there is little lifts on the corners so that the plywood is off the tub.

7. 21hens-incharge

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    Scared me for a minute thinking it was to closed in. Glad to know it is all good. [​IMG]

8. TheChickGirl01

Mar 20, 2015
    Ya all is good. I went to check on them this morning around 6 and we still had all 8 chicks alive and doing well. I will have to lower the heat lamp a little though, it is only 85* in their brooder.

9. 21hens-incharge

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    Glad they are all doing well. If they are all active and not huddles you may be ok leaving it where it is. I noticed with mine that they were all sleeping on the other end of the brooder and so mine is now at the 70 degree stage even with some that are only 2 weeks old in there. Spunky and active without huddling. Gotta love them little buggers.

My 2 week old Iowa Blues are actually sleeping on the roost and not on the floor while the one month old BA is still sleeping on the floor.

10. TheChickGirl01

Mar 20, 2015
    Mine are active. Love to run and play in the brooder. [​IMG] They like to sleep under the on the long sides of the tub. They all seem happy, so I don't think I will change the height to the heat lamp.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by