Heat lamp temperature for 2 days old and 2 weeks old chicks combined

LaPetiteFarmer

Songster
7 Years
Feb 9, 2012
Vista, CA
On the 27th, I will received 5 chicks (2 days old) that I am planning in adding to my current chicks (they will be 2 weeks old, and one 3 weeks old). Should I leave 95F temperature for everybody? (My brooder is big enough for the older ones to be in a cooler place) or should I separate them (I really would like to avoid that unless the little ones get bullied.) Thank you

As long as your brooder is large enough for the older birds (actually both, as even the young ones don't want to be under the heat ALL the time) to get away from the heat, just set it up so the younguns can get enough heat when they want it.

Putting them together while the olduns are only 2 weeks old will really simplify the integration problem you would have later if you separated them. IMHO, by the time they are 2-3 weeks old they won't be hovering around the heat much, especially in the kinda weather you are probably having in CA.

Here in CO mine didn't sleep under the heat lamp even at a 40 degree ambient at 3 weeks. They just stayed at the edges of the lamp shine and slept together.

Thank you for your answer... I feel relieved because I was a bit concerned about the temperature. I will have 12 chicks: 5 standards (RIR, australorp, red star, EE, and Rock; 1 medium size (golden spangled hamburgs), and 6 bantams (golden sebright, and 5 silkies) in a 4 by 4 brooder. The day old chicks will be 3 silkies, the sebright and the hamburgs), so hopefully they will find their place. As right now they have plenty of room, but I know they grow fast. I also have two bulbs, one of 250 w and the other 75. What I could do next week is switch the 250 for the 75 (but lower it to keep a 95F temperature), but like this the radius won't be as large and everybody should be happy.

Should work. This is my first year, but IMHO, there is way too much concern about providing high heat for long periods of time for chicks. If a hen hatches eggs, the chicks are running around within a day or two. They go back under her when they need heat, but the definitely don't need it 24/7.

Back
Top Bottom