Heat Lamp vs. Heat Emitter

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ibradly, Oct 13, 2007.

1. ibradly

ibradly Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ, USA
  2. allen wranch

allen wranch Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    San Marcos, TX
    The ceramic heat emitter doesn't dissipate heat the way a regular heat lamp does. Most of it is concentrated in one spot. If you have a lot of chicks that means some won't get as much benefit from the heat. The surface also gets very very hot to the touch, and of course there is no light.

I sometimes use them in my coop on very very cold nights, but they are up pretty high and protected.

I like them in some situations, but wouldn't use them for chicks. I have heard that if you are in an extremely cold climate, they don't last very long.

3. ibradly

ibradly Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ, USA
    Thanks for the reply. I think I'll stick with the heat lamp. My bulb burnt out so I've been searching for a new one. Checked all the usual places, Home Depot, Ace, Wal-Mart etc... But they only have the 250W bulbs. I'd really like to find a 100W infrared bulb. Hum...

4. allen wranch

allen wranch Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    San Marcos, TX
    Depending on where you brood your chicks, a 60W red light bulb or two may be sufficient. You can find them at most home improvement stores.

A 250W light is too hot inside the house. I usually start out with about 75W, then go down from there as the chicks get older.

Heat for a brooder in an outside coop, garage or unheated basement would be a different matter.

5. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    I use a 60 watt red bulb from home depot in my brooder and the 250 watt heat lambs out in the coop & hutch at winter.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by