Heat Lamp vs. Natural Heat Question

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by SKG1121, Apr 8, 2012.

1. SKG1121

SKG1121 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2012
    GA
    BACKGROUND:My chicks are going to be shipped on June 11. I live in GA (on the coast, so not as hot as other parts.) I am going to keep the brooder in my garage. The garage is not heated/cooled. So it will be a bit cooler and less humid than outside, but not by much.
    QUESTION: If my garage is say, 80 degrees, would it be okay to use a heat lamp for the first couple of weeks, and then one I get to the time period where the brooder is supposed to be 80 or less just turn off the lamp? Or will I need to have a fan running above it to cool them off?
    And if it is like 90 degrees outside (and humid) at what week could the chicks be moved into their coop?

2. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    They need to start out at about 95 degrees, then drop 5 degrees each week until you reach the outside temps.

When they are FULLY feathered, they won't need any extra heat at all

If your brooder is the right size, they will be able to move away from the light to regulate their own temps

3. SKG1121

Mar 4, 2012
    GA
    but is it okay if I move them out at like 1-2 weeks when its 90 degrees outside or will they be too hot for the future weeks?

4. SKG1121

Mar 4, 2012
    GA
    bump

5. RonC

RonC Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    D/FW
    Two weeks is pretty young, I suppose if they are in a protected coop or run and the temps are staying warm at night with no drafts they probably would be ok. Might want to put a heat lamp so they can go to it if needed. Several people here put them outside at a very young age. Maybe someone with more experience can answer that better.

6. LILCHIKBIGCHIK

LILCHIKBIGCHIK Out Of The Brooder

Jan 24, 2012
    South of Boston
    You'll be fine, I put my 2 week old chicks out in their coop with a heat lamp and set the temp on 75*, that 95* the 1st week and drop 5* every week is crazy. Figure on starting at 90* the first day then drop 1* every day from there on. By the end of the 3rd week your chicks will be almost fully feathered and much more hardier and adjusted to the real world. Mine will be 5 weeks old Monday and they slept outside in there run last night in 48*. Hope this helped

7. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Just be careful and use common sense. They are babies and they get into a lot of trouble when they are little, turning their food and water over while running and flying around, so I like to be home with them. I like to have them in a confined brooder, about 4 x 4 ft, and 2 ft tall, until they can fly up to the sides at about 3 weeks. Your garage may be okay, but be careful that the heat is not too hot--80-90 degrees outside may mean 100-120 inside. Heat will kill them as well as cold.

8. SKG1121

Mar 4, 2012
    GA
    but do you need to keep dropping the temperature? If it is 90 outside will I need a way to cool them off?

9. EdenCamp

EdenCamp Chillin' With My Peeps

You know how a car heats up much hotter when it's parked in the sun? Same with your garage. Heat rises. Floor level of your garage is going to be cooler than head level. Do you have windows you can open with an exhaust or window fan? This can help reduce heat buildup. If your garage is better insulated or shaded these will also help keep your garage temp more moderate.

A brooder is just replacing "MOM" for heat and saftey. Mom cannot cool chicks down either other than perhaps leading them to a shaded or lower place. As babies get older they get better at regulating thier own heat.

Heat, too hot, can kill. If your garage temp gets over 95 or so then yes, you need to find a way to drop the temp a bit. Remember to take the temp at the level the chicks are at. Also remember lots of water - warm not cold.

10. SKG1121

Mar 4, 2012
    GA
    thanks :) the garage is usually cooler than the yard i think, its not really a typical garage because I lived in a historic house so its an old '2 horse' carriage house

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by