Heat Lamp Vs None???

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by JennH07, Jan 2, 2011.

1. JennH07

JennH07 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2010
    Hastings, MI
    I have a insulated coop that my husband built and we put in a red heat lamp. The lamp is screw to the roof struts, so there is no chance of it falling. Well when I went out this morning to let them out of the coop, the light was burned out. I am just wondering if they really need a heat lamp in an insulated coop. It was 11 degrees here this morning here in IA, and often gets down to about 0. The coop is insulated with that 2" thick pink board stuff.

2. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Often I think the preference is more for the owners and not the birds.

That being said, without a heat source and temps as you (and I) get in winter expect some of the tips of your birds with larger combs to get little frost bite. No insulation here or heat source, temps below 5 degrees F and I noted some whitening to a few birds tips. My Leghorns have huge combs with long spikes. I could rub some petroleum jelly on them prior to those colder nights but it really does'nt seem to bother them much. You have the option of merely turning on the heat lamp for those really cold nights.

3. JennH07

JennH07 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2010
    Hastings, MI
    Thanks for the reply!! Lots to think about!![​IMG]

4. Pequena Bandada

Pequena Bandada Small Flock

Jun 13, 2010
    It also depends on how big your coop is and how well ventilated (or drafty). One heat lamp won't raise the temperature much at all if it's up high in a large coop. The heat will just go straight up out of any cracks or ventilation holes you have and never make it to the chickens. But if you have a very small coop and just a few chickens who would be within a few feet of the lamp, it may provide a little extra warmth.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by