Heat Lamp watts

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chicklove93, Oct 25, 2011.

1. chicklove93

chicklove93 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 17, 2011
    NEPA
    Currently I use a red heat lamp 250 watts for my chicks. They were a week old yesterday 10/24. WHen should I change the wattage to 150? thanks [​IMG]

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

It depends.

Sometimes, plenty of heat can be put on the chicks with 150w from day 1. How big is the brooder and how high is the lamp? If the chicks are cold, they'll peep and peep, and huddle up tightly directly under the lamp.

If the chicks are too hot, they will avoid the lamp altogether, stand off from it. If they are really cooking they'll pant and hold their wings out.

By week 3, they'll not want as much heat and that can be accomplished by lowering the wattage, or by raising the lamp. Just watch the birds, they will tell you.

3. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    I have the my heat lamp set up on a separate stand and instead of a different light wattage I move the stand closer for more heat and away for less heat. I have always felt that the number 90 degrees is a bit much the first week so if they are looking for a cooler space in the brooder lower the heat for sure until they are moving more all over in the cage and on occasion to get in the heat is just perfect. Have a backup light bulb just in case [​IMG]

4. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    Like Fred says it depends. Ambient temperature, drafts, humidity, all play a role.

Fortunately the chicks will tell you if they are hot or cold. Observe them then act accordingly.

This is what you're looking for:

[​IMG]

My daughters have chicks in a brooder right now. It's not our regular one so it does not heat as efficiently as our usual set up. Our outside temperatures lately have ranged from night time lows in the forties to daytime highs in the eighties. I keep a fixture with a 125w bulb for during the day and a big 250w for at night.

1 person likes this.
  5. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    A.T. Hagan :

Like Fred says it depends. Ambient temperature, drafts, humidity, all play a role.

Fortunately the chicks will tell you if they are hot or cold. Observe them then act accordingly.

This is what you're looking for:

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-...AAAAAAABSk/LDiy2_G_PX8/s600/diagram%25205.jpg

My daughters have chicks in a brooder right now. It's not our regular one so it does not heat as efficiently as our usual set up. Our outside temperatures lately have ranged from night time lows in the forties to daytime highs in the eighties. I keep a fixture with a 125w bulb for during the day and a big 250w for at night.

A.T. Hagan Nice diagram and it picture says it all!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by