1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

heat lamp went out..

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jennylynn86, Mar 18, 2013.

1. jennylynn86

jennylynn86 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2013
    Some time last night the heat lamp went out. not sure what time exactly but I have week old EE and a few day old silkie bantums, Should I get to the store ASAP to get new light or will they be ok for a while so I can feed my son breakfast first. they seem to be ok, just huddled together and the room is quite warm... Thanks.. just don't want to lose any of my chickies..

2. bilder

bilder Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2013
    Phoenix, Oregon
    You can use any light bulb you have around the house for a temporary heat source till you can get out and buy a higher wattage one. Something is better than nothing. You can always lower the lamp if using a lower wattage bulb to increase the warmth if they need it. Chicks are tougher than most people give them credit for.

3. jennylynn86

jennylynn86 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2013
    Thanks I took a light out of my desk lamp for the mean time. I am just waiting on my two year old to wake up, feed him then off to the store.. I really love these chicks so I don't want them to be chilled.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by