Heat lamp

Yard full o' rocks

Songster
10 Years
Mar 24, 2009
Cartersville, Georgia
My first batch of "babies" are due a week from today....CANT WAIT:yiipchick. I have a brooder box built (thanks to someone here who posted a wonderful idea) and I plan to keep them in my basement. How long will I need to keep the heat lamp in there with them? I am also building a seperate coop/run for "grow up" chickens until they can be miggled with the adults. How long before they can be put out in the coop/run? I am in Ga and the weather here is pretty stable now. 50s at night, upper 60s, low 70s during the day. Thanks

I'm in GA, too. Why put them in the basement? If your brooder is secure enough, do you have a pole barn or some other type of shelter that has a roof you can put them outside?

The heat lamp goes like this: keep it 95 degrees the first week, them drop down 5 degrees every week. By 6 weeks, you can take out the heat lamp. With the warm weather almost here, you might even take the heat lamp out at 5 weeks.

Good luck! Chickens are SO MUCH FUN!!
big_smile.png

I guess maybe I am trying to be too "overprotective"....guess I thought the nights might be too cool (even with the lamp) for them to be outside. I do have a screened porch 1 story above the walk out basement. I could definitely out the brooder out there. There is power, its covered. THANKS

I got my day old chicks on March 1st. I did keep them in the house for 3 days because the temps were in the teens for those nights. They have been outside every since and doing well.

By the 3rd day, the room was dusty and stinky. I read threads where people keep their chicks in the house for weeks!!
ep.gif
Yikes! It must really be dusty and stinky by then!!

Back
Top Bottom