1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!
  1. suburbanchick

suburbanchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2007
    Raleigh NC
    I'm putting my chicks outside tonight for the first time. I'm thinking that I'd like to get a light that puts off more heat than the mechanic's light with the 60 watt bulb.

I can't get a large heat lamp bc my coop is so small. I need something small that I can hang from the ceiling.

Can I get one of the reptile heat lamps from the pet store? Or is that too much heat? I don't have a feed store in my town.

Any quick advice would be great, as I need to run to the store now.

Thanks!

2. Blake

Blake Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2007
    Gurley,Al
    just up the wattage on the light bulb. i commonly use 75 or 100 watt bulbs for mine.i will also step down the wattage on them as the babies get older.

3. suburbanchick

Apr 7, 2007
    Raleigh NC
    Great, that's what I did... I got a 75 watt in there now and it's staying about 70 degrees when it's 50 outside. Perfect!

4. allen wranch

allen wranch Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    San Marcos, TX
    Do they have plenty of ventilation for your size coop ?

5. suburbanchick

Apr 7, 2007
    Raleigh NC
    Yes, I left the door cracked last night (bc it leads to their secure run) and it still stayed around 65 - 70 all night.

In the summer I will leave the door completely open at night.

The girlies were happy as could be this morning and for the first time will be able to spend the day outside!

I did have a tough time getting them inside the coop last night when it was time to shut the door. There are problems with the way the chicken tractor was designed. I can't easily get to the door, or get them in.

We will remedy this in the coming days by putting a removable porthole of some time in the wire run. It'll make more sense when I post pics later today.

6. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

suburbanchick....you can try to coax themin the coop area with a little treat...call them, and throw the treat on the coop floor. Good luck! It works for mine!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by