Heat lamp

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by organicchef, May 13, 2010.

1. organicchef

organicchef In the Brooder

Aug 14, 2007
    Central NC
    I have finished my brooder and installed the heat lamp (with red heat bulb). I have it about 2 1/2 feet from the bottom of and it is still way to hot!!! (Don't panic, the babies won't be here til Tuesday) About 110...
    What other bulb can I use? I have heard that red bulbs reduce picking...
    Thanks!!!

2. PhilErvin

PhilErvin Songster

Sep 11, 2009
    Yucaipa, CA
    Your Brooder needs to be big enough that the chicks can get away from the heat as they need to.

3. biddybird

biddybird Songster

May 5, 2010
    Salado Texas
    I only use the heat bulb in the winter, in outdoor pens with an escape area. A 100 watt bulb normally keeps mine right at 95 this time of year. I have also found that an 85 watt spot light works, be sure and check temps each time you change a bulb, I bought what I thought was the same and came back and found my brooder way too hot!

4. PhilErvin

PhilErvin Songster

Sep 11, 2009
    Yucaipa, CA
    Can you back the lamp further away?

5. organicchef

Aug 14, 2007
    Central NC
    The size is about 2 x 4...and I'm getting 6 babies.

6. PhilErvin

PhilErvin Songster

Sep 11, 2009
    Yucaipa, CA
    Move your thermometer as far from the hottest point as you can (within the Brooder)and see what the temp reads.

7. organicchef

Aug 14, 2007
    Central NC
    I've got it up as high as it will go. I think I'll try a different type bulb and see what the temp is. I want it to be perfect when the babies get here.
    I know puppies, kittens, hamsters, and fish.....baby chicks are a whole new adventure!!![​IMG]

8. organicchef

Aug 14, 2007
    Central NC
    Quote:Phil, it was about 110 to 115 at the furthest (is that a word????) point

9. I had the same problem with my first batch...got way too hot. I put a smaller watt bulb in and the babies were comfortable and the light did not lead to picking or hyperactivity...I was a new chickie mom and checked on them constantly. [​IMG]

10. PhilErvin

PhilErvin Songster

Sep 11, 2009
    Yucaipa, CA
    Quote:Good thought. As long as they can get away from the heat they will "self regulate". If you see them crowding in the furthest corner you will know that the heat is still too intense. Good Luck and welcome to this addiction. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: