Heat Lamp

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by cackalacky, May 3, 2007.

1. cackalacky

cackalacky New Egg

Apr 30, 2007
    I am getting 3 6-week-old chicks this weekend, so I am hoping that they can go right in the coop with a heat lamp at night. Having my previous 4 chicks in the dining room was charming but I am -too- ready to have a dust-free house again!!

One question, how hot is too hot at night? My 250 watt bulb is keeping the coop about 90 degrees early in the evening when I put them up, getting down to 72-73 by the early morning as the night cools off. I feel as if I am baking the poor dears in the early evening. They all seem happy as larks, but I worry. It's what I do. I even have a t-shirt.

So, should I lower the wattage of the bulb? Should I plug one or more vent holes later in the evening? Throw a tarp over it to add a dead air space? Here is a photograph of our new coop/tractor.

[​IMG]

Thanks again for helping me!

-cackalacky

*Reposted from coop forum.

2. nikkimay

nikkimay Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2007
    Pacific NW
    We got a dimmer for our heat lamp so we could control the temp - that might be something to try.

Beautiful coop!

3. Blondie

Blondie Chillin' With My Peeps

Where are you located? If your chicks are 6 weeks old & it doesn't get lower than 45 degrees at night, you don't even need a heat lamp. They will huddle together and stay warm enough. Of course, they have to be in a draft-free place. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by