Heat lamp

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Poultrybonkers, Dec 19, 2011.

1. Poultrybonkers

Poultrybonkers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2011
    Is it safe to turn off the heat lamp at night or not my chicks are 5 weeks old.

2. joneus

joneus Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2011
    Ballston Spa
    I think it depends on how warm the room is where they are & whether or not they've finished feathering out. My 4wk olds are in the house & havent had a heat lamp since they were 2wks old. I know what the "norm" is supposed to be, but mine didnt want it & they've been fine.

You can give it a try & keep an eye on them to determine whether or not they still need it (huddling or shivering = they still need the heat).

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

At 5 weeks, it is time to begin the weening process, getting them acclimated to ambient temps. I like 5 week olds to experience very cool days, but I still like them have "some" warmth at night to sleep well. What is the air temperature?

4. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Fred's Hens :

At 5 weeks, it is time to begin the weening process, getting them acclimated to ambient temps. I like 5 week olds to experience very cool days, but I still like them have "some" warmth at night to sleep well. What is the air temperature?

[​IMG] I would think you need to be at least 70 degrees and if not some heat would be good to feel safe!​

5. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    When my chicks were five weeks old, they were sleeping outside in the coop with the big girls. Then again, I suppose that was spring and it's hot here. [​IMG] I'd say you should be okay. [​IMG]

6. Poultrybonkers

Poultrybonkers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2011
  7. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Quote:http://i1119.photobucket.com/albums/k632/stevebaslow/X2IAgree.gif I would think you need to be at least 70 degrees and if not some heat would be good to feel safe!

Would 60-65 be to cold?

Easy to tell if they are gathering under the light in a tight knot yes if the are loose or around the outside or running around fine.

8. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I have a 75 watt incandescent bulb in a brooder lamp that I turn on at night and have it on one side in their coop low enough so if they want some heat they can lay under it. Some do and some don't. It has been in the low to mid 40's here the past couple of nights.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by