Heat Lamp

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Sassy0876, Apr 11, 2012.

1. Sassy0876

Sassy0876 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2012
    Southern, Mississippi
    I just got four silkie chicks on monday, they were born on Easter. This is my first time raising chicks. I could not find an actual Heat bulb as Tractor Supply was all out. So I went to Lowes and bought a red light bulb that is for decorative purposes. It is 90 watts and it puts off quite a bit of heat. My chicks are in a plastic sterlite bin with a lid on it and chicken wire at the one end of the lid. I used a thermometer and checked the temp and it was 94.6 under the light. They are very active. Eating and drinking good! I had them eating out of my hand tonight lol. I was just curious how long all of you keep the heat lamps on your chicks. My chicks are in my house in my bathroom which is off my bedroom. There is no window in my bathroom and no drafts of any kind. This is my first time like I said so I am just curious how long you keep it on. I went from a pitch black bedroom to a lovely red glow coming from my bathroom. My bathroom don't have a door on it to block the light lol. Any advice on anything would be great! Let it rip!

2. RonC

RonC Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    D/FW
    They will need the heat lamp for about 4-5 weeks depending on the temp where they are kept. You can reduce the temp by about 5 degrees per week. Make sure they can escape the heat if it gets too hot,a warm and cold area in the brooder for them. Lowes carries the heat lamps also. They will as they get older wander away from the light to cool off. Watch them and you can tell if they are too hot or cold. If huddled together under the lamp too cold. They will pant with there mouth open if they get too hot and move away from the light. Make sure they have water and keep them on thier starter feed, when you start giving them treats they will need grit to digest their food. There's lots of good information in the forums here and [​IMG].

3. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    Ron pretty much said it all; you can keep them inside until about two months in age, although many people take away the lamp before then. Depends on how fast they're growing, I suppose. We had a couple who feathered out very quickly, another two who took a while longer.

It doesn't really matter if you don't have a "real" heat lamp, as long as it gives out heat. We actually use a clip-on work light, bought from a hardware store. :p I think you made a good choice with red, our light was pretty bright, but the chicks didn't seem to mind it.

No draughts is a good thing, wind and wet are usually the main things to avoid with chickens. Good luck!

4. Ashburnham

Ashburnham Chillin' With My Peeps

I have used red lights for years with good results.

5. mixitup

mixitup Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    I have always used a red light with chicks and puppies. The red tends to minimize things. The experts say it reduces pecking each other-don't know if it's true, but we've never had a problem with pecking each other.

6. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

As the indoor chicks get older, say around 4 weeks, they'll not need very much additional heat. They grow fast and the tub will confine them. Tubs are notorious for holding heat. My only caution is that it is time to consider ways of reducing the heat, as time moves along.

At 4 weeks, it is time to begin the acclimation process of getting them used to air that is often 50 degrees. Most tubs don't provide enough space for the chicks to find places with air that cool. Having a large brooder in a cool place, such as a garage or basement, provides the birds the experience of being able to move from 50 degree cool spots back to 80 degree warm spots as they themselves determine their needs. Enjoy your new adventure.

7. Sassy0876

Apr 11, 2012
    Southern, Mississippi
    I thank you all for your info, it is very helpful! Yea I have yet to figure out how I am gonna reduce their heat every week, I guess I am gonna have to find a way to put the light up higher away from the cage. I love having them in the house and being able to see them and play with them and such! I had them eating out of my hand last night and this morning and it is so funny. I was told that silkies don't grow as fast as other chickens. They were born on Easter so they are only 4 days old but they are just so darn cute and fun!

8. Ashburnham

Ashburnham Chillin' With My Peeps

I hang the light from a chain on a hook in the roof. Raise it by a link or two every day.

9. Sassy0876

Apr 11, 2012
    Southern, Mississippi
    My chicks are in my house in my bathroom, I don't want to put a hook in my ceiling, I will figure something out I guess. LOL

10. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    I actually hang my light from a tennis racket (it was all we could find. :lau) balanced on two boxes the brooder was placed between. You can vary the height that way. It mighht get a bit messy though. :lol:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by