1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Heat Lamp?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Herweyer 5, Nov 15, 2014.

1. Herweyer 5

Herweyer 5 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 15, 2014
    Do you need a heat lamp on your chickens in the winter?thanks

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Generally speaking, healthy, fully feathered birds (not adult, just fully feathered) do not need supplemental heat - neither do chicks being raised with a good broody. Adding supplemental heat can actually cause more problems than it could ever hope to help. Chickens have a built in insulation system (their feathers) and heat generation system (body heat). Provided with a place to get out of the wind and wet they can keep themselves very nicely warm

3. Herweyer 5

Herweyer 5 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 15, 2014
    THANK YOU so much it was very helpful information! now i will not be as worry that they are so cold[​IMG]

4. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. I would not recommend using a heat lamp as far too often they seem to be the cause of fires. As Ol Grey Mare said, feathers excellent insulators. Moisture is a much greater danger than cold. I've raised chickens where winter temperatures dropped as low as 30 F below zero and with a dry, well ventilated but draft free coop they did just fine. Our Learning Center has some good articles on winter chicken keeping at https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/winter-chicken-keeping, keeping your coop warm at https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/winter-coop-temperatures, and coop ventilation at https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/...-go-out-there-and-cut-more-holes-in-your-coop. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck in winterizing your coop.

1 person likes this.
  5. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

I agree with the above posters. You do not need additional heat for healthy adult birds for the most part. Adult healthy birds can survive the most brutal of temps as long as they have had a chance to acclimate to the early winter temps. Any very young, old or sick birds may require additional heat.

If your temps are going to suddenly drop by 30 or 40 degrees down from your AVERAGE over night lows, this can be a great shock. So you might then add a small heat lamp just to bring up the temps around the birds. You are not trying to heat the coop, just raise the temp a few degrees around the birds. You can then remove the lamp when temps return to their normal over night lows. If you do use a heat lamp, make sure to permanently attach it to the wall or ceiling. Never rely on the clamp as they can fall and start a fire.

Chickens need to have the opportunity to go outside every day in the winter. Some days they may not want to venture out, but they should be acclimated enough that they can go out if they want to. Shovel the snow for them too. This will help to get them outside and help to prevent frost bite on the feet.

Great to have you aboard and welcome to our flock!

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Glad you joined the flock

7. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] so glad you joined us.

8. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

9. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

10. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

I only use a heat lamp if the temps drop below freezing. Many people are against them saying they are a fire hazard but heat lamps are important and very useful if you live in a cold area like I do.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by