Heat lamp

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chick whisper, Jan 4, 2015.

1. Chick whisper

Chick whisper Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2014
    Montana
    So this is my first year with chickens, I'm 15 years old, and live in Northern Montana. So far this winter it has been brutall. We have about 1.5 ft of snow and the past few days it hast gotten above 12 degrees. I have a heating lamp in the coop that gets the coop about in the 20s during the day, but I am wondering if it is ok to leave it on all night? That is what I have been doing and I'm worried that they are being forced to lay to much....I dont really care if I get eggs right now , in the winter, I just don't want them to get to cold. So do I need to shut it off for part of the night so they can sleep or can I just leave it like that? They have already suffered from frostbite too so idk? Do I need to keep the coop cleaner and put more jelly on their combs? I'm just kind of worried that I will shorten the length of their life by keeping it on... Thanks for the help

2. Naser

Naser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2014
    Ireland
    I read somewhere here that heat lamps is a common cause of fire.
    Generally speaking, chickens are very hardy creatures and may be some vaseline on their combs that is all needed. otherwise another heating device like oil radiator is safer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by