Heat Lamp

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Annie Losch, Feb 27, 2015.

1. Annie Losch

Annie Losch Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2014
    My past 3 winters, I've used heat lamp in my chicken house when the temperature drop below 30 degress F at night. Why are some chicken owners are sceptical and against using heat lamp? You know, most of the cases, chicken coop burned down because the heat lamp was not installed correctly and the individual are not vigilant enough to take extra precaution. Do any of you using heat lamp without any problems?

2. dheltzel

dheltzel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Nov 30, 2013
    Pottstown, PA
    I think the main objection to heat lamps is that it is not needed, or even helpful. It serves mainly to make the chicken keeper feel better about leaving their chickens out in the cold.

Maybe a better idea would be a heated roost. That would use a lot less electricity and give them warm feet and tummies. If you search for heated roosts you should get some hits from the peafowl people. Some species of peas need heated roosts in the northern winters.

2 people like this.
  3. Annie Losch

Jul 17, 2014
    Thanks for your info.

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us!

5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome! [​IMG]I'm glad you joined our BYC "flock".

I have used heat lamps, and even a small space heater in one of my coops for a couple of years, with no problems. I do not have heat for my large fowl layers, only for some more delicate, frostbite-prone show bantams. I think that in most cases, chickens do not need heat. But, if you have smaller bantams or it gets really cold, I don't see a huge problem with adding a little heat. True, heat lamps can cause fires, but some are safer. I quit using heat lamps and switched to a small space heater because heat lamps only kept the birds warm while they were on the roost, not when they were wandering around the coop. The space heater has benefited my birds, preventing frostbite on the rooster's large combs (which are not suited for below 0 temperatures- heat may not be needed for winters that stay relatively warm, but if it gets below 0, almost anything can get frostbite), keeping eggs from freezing so that I can incubate them, and made it more comfortable to be out in the coop.

I can understand why some people may be afraid of adding heat lamps or another form of heat (I still worry about a possible fire), but if you securely attach heat lamps and keep shavings and flammable materials away from them, I don't see anything really wrong with using them.

3 people like this.
  6. Annie Losch

Jul 17, 2014
    You got a good point here, Wyandottes7. I used a small space heater in my earlier years when my chicken house was build. Maybe I'm thinking of using it again for this year, brutally cold winter. I have 2 bantams, 2 leghorns and Orpingtons. I spoiled my flocks with a warmer water, feed, scratch, mealworms, purina blocks and sometimes oatmeal for breakfast and rice, pasta, fish and veg for their dinner. You think I do too much for my pet chickens but they're cute and adorable and mostly, I love them all.

7. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] I'm glad you joined our community!

I've used heat lamps in the past with no problems due to fire. However, like Wyandottes7, I found that heat lamps didn't provide sufficient heat to prevent frostbite or other cold related problems with my show birds. So, I switched to a small space heater.

8. Annie Losch

Jul 17, 2014
    Is the small space heater safe to be use in coop with accumulating dust shaving and if accidentally knock over ?

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to the BYC flock, glad you joined us. I have heard folks speak of a "sweeter heater," not sure what that is, but apparently it is as safe as you can get.

10. Annie Losch

Jul 17, 2014
    Thank you for all your warm welcoming, my BYC flocks! I think I'm going to puchase the 'Sweeter Heater', drumstick diva have mentioned. This product looks durable. Basically, it is a flat panel hanging on the ceiling or wall. It is an expensive item but it can provide the peace of mind not worrying about fire hazard and loss of our chickens and their housing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by