heat lamps and chicks...

Mrs. K

Crossing the Road
14 Years
Nov 12, 2009
western South Dakota
I am finding out that chicks really do not need that much extra heat. If they are dry, and have enough feed and water, and wind protection, much sooner than I at first expected, chicks can maintain themselves in quite cool temperatures.

They do not need a constant heat or temperature. They do better to have much colder temps and then warm up, than kept at a constant temperature. You do not need a thermometer, you need a pair of ears. Chicks that are doing just fine, peep occasionally. Chicks that are too cold, peep madly. If they are not peeping madly, they are doing just fine.

I do not have a good size brooder... and now I think that is a good thing, cause I got mine outside yesterday. Last night, it got down to 36 degrees. They are not fully feathered out, but had no trouble. They had a huddle box with an insulated top. And they were outside basking in the sun and fresh air this morning just fine.

I think it is good for them to be outside in sun and fresh air, verses inside a cramped area, not enough exercise with too much poo, stale air and artificial heat. Each of us has to do this our own way, but it might be helpful to know that you don't need to keep them under the heat lamp for weeks and weeks.

I got my chicks on Friday April 6th, I assume that they hatched Wednesday and were shipped Thursday, so they were 16 days old yesterday. I did have 10 chicks, and as another poster mentioned, having a few more of them, might make it easier to work.

I did get meat chicks on the same day, but they grew so fast, they went outside when they were 8 days old. My run areas have an outdoor shelter, and the coops have wooly hens... but they are just healthier looking, more active and robust. Today all are basking in the sun.

Jus a different option, but healthy vigorous chicks are stronger than you think.

Mrs K

I get mine later in the season so they can go outside their first week, and extra heat needs are minimal. How long to provide heat can be affected by time of year, and amount of chicks, as well as some breeds like silkies may need heat longer.

It is better to not brood too hot and to remove them from that heat on a daily basis to get them used to different temperatures.

Brooding with a heat lamp doesn't need to mean a constant hot heat source. Chicks are healthier not being over heated and having room to run and sunshine to sit in.

Last edited:
I agree, but a lot of people keep them under a heat lamp 24/7. I know I did when I first got started! I was sure they would freeze to death.

I read Junebug and she said that she never put them under a heat lamp... if you think about it, most of them are mailed to us, and no heat lamp then.

Mrs K

I agree, but a lot of people keep them under a heat lamp 24/7. I know I did when I first got started! I was sure they would freeze to death.

I read Junebug and she said that she never put them under a heat lamp... if you think about it, most of them are mailed to us, and no heat lamp then.

Mrs K
They do need heat those first 2 weeks but after that it can start to be less. It does depend on external temperatures.

It just occupied to me you may be referring to people brooding in their houses, something that I never do, mine are always out in an unheated shed. If kept in the house many people keep their heat high, so most don't need much for extra temperatures. I'm old-fashioned, chickens don't belong in the house in my world.

I start to acclimatise mine from week 2 , putting them outside for a few hours at a time. Once they are feathered in and as long as they siblings to snuggle up to they are more robust. Overheating causes pasty butt and generally weaker birds.

I believe that a huge dis-service is being done with:

Feed stores selling and even pushing 250W heat lamps on customers who are buying a few chicks with the intent to brood them in the house.

Chicks being brooded in plastic totes with heat lamps.

Chicks being brooded for weeks on end in brooders which are too small.

Even the heat lamp protocol which suggests that chicks be started at 90 - 95* in the first week, and heat reduced by 5*/week. According to this schedule, chicks still need a heat lamp at 4 weeks of age, IN THE HOUSE!

My chicks are brooded outside, and wean themselves off heat completely at 4 - 5 weeks of age, with night time temps down to low 30's and sometimes in 20's.

I believe that a huge dis-service is being done with:

Feed stores selling and even pushing 250W heat lamps on customers who are buying a few chicks with the intent to brood them in the house.

Chicks being brooded in plastic totes with heat lamps.

Chicks being brooded for weeks on end in brooders which are too small.

Even the heat lamp protocol which suggests that chicks be started at 90 - 95* in the first week, and heat reduced by 5*/week. According to this schedule, chicks still need a heat lamp at 4 weeks of age, IN THE HOUSE!

My chicks are brooded outside, and wean themselves off heat completely at 4 - 5 weeks of age, with night time temps down to low 30's and sometimes in 20's.
I agree . I don’t think that any of the recommendations were intended for brooder as small as plastic totes. My heat lamp is on 75 w. Birds need enough space in the brooder to allow them to move away and confined spaces also allow bacteria to grow in the feed and water.

My dear hubby is not fond of having them in the garage, let alone the house!

However, I turn my heat lamp on during the day, more for light than anything, and I shut it off, and let them cool down. Mine sleep in a huddle box during the night, with no heat at all at temperatures between 35 and 45 degrees.

I put them out, and they are doing fine. I really do not think they need extra heat nearly as long as I did when I got started.

By putting them out in the coop/run, they get more exercise, and more space. I am not trying to convince anyone, each of us do it as we see fit, but really they do not need a heat lamp nearly as long as I first thought or have seen recommended on here.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom