1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!
  1. Lifetime chicken lover

Lifetime chicken lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2009
    Rogers, MN
    Hi everyone!
    I just finished building my winter coop in my garage- it's a 5x5x9 shipping crate (placed on its side-so the floor space is 5x9). I thought of everything except light and heat. I have one heat lamp with a regular heat bulb, but I don't think I can keep that on all night due to the light factor, right? So how can I keep my 8 chickens warm at night? any suggestions? I can't have anything too big, as my chickens don't have too much room as it is.

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    You could try those red bulbs for your heat lamp....they do put off less light. Truthfully, you should be OK without heat. As long as the girls have some nice lean straw to snuggle up to. There are also flat heat panels that you can use. I think they're expensive though.

3. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
  4. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
  5. Lifetime chicken lover

Lifetime chicken lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2009
    Rogers, MN
    I have one blue silky roo that may need the extra heat. I heard that they can freeze with temps under 40 degrees.

6. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Quote:It's much warmer here and I've never had a silkie, so who am I to say? Never the less, I would think he would stay warm by cuddling up with others. I would not want the threat of a heat lamp in my garage. But then we had a house fire earlier this year, wiped out the house, due (they think) to faulty wiring. The house was about 1.5 years old. You just never know.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by