Heat Lamps are Old School

ricthestick

Chirping
12 Years
Apr 27, 2010
This year was the year to change out the old girls to the younger ones. Looking thru the forum on brooders. I took the Heating blanket idea to the next level? We didn't have a heating pad to begin with so I think I have discovered a way to eliminate the heat lamp idea and keep the exact temperature where you want it. I used my heating pads i use to start my veggies for the garden. They are water proof, you can set the temperature to what they need. (I place a small thermometer at the enterence of the brooder to see they were getting. You can adjust the temp for your area climate. I made a chicken wire top little brooder. Set the pads (I had two of them) on top, with a thin piece of plywood over that and a old blanket on top of that to trap the heat in. It worked great. Easy way of checking the temp from the controller. When the chicks had their feathers, we moved them to a temp run that butted up next to the regular pen, so all the chickens can see each other. I then moved my heating pads to the chick run and put them on the ground. First i wrapped some alumium foil around thin wood and put that down on the ground, then the heating pad. with wood shavings on top of that so the heat raidated up. I put a card board box over all of that so the chicks could get out of the sun during the day and at night they would all snuggle under it on the heating pad at night. When it warmed up i pulled out the pad. It was nice to have the control of the heat pad. We had cold weather mixed in with the spring warmth so i was able to adjust for the weather. At 8 weeks i cut a little door between the chick run and regular chicken yard so the little ones could explore the new home and could get away from the older chicks. At 12wks they are in big yard with their own feeder with starter for a few more weeks.
20200608_143634.jpg
20200608_143634.jpg 20200602_105803.jpg
20200511_081458.jpg

This year was the year to change out the old girls to the younger ones. Looking thru the forum on brooders. I took the Heating blanket idea to the next level? We didn't have a heating pad to begin with so I think I have discovered a way to eliminate the heat lamp idea and keep the exact temperature where you want it. I used my heating pads i use to start my veggies for the garden. They are water proof, you can set the temperature to what they need. (I place a small thermometer at the enterence of the brooder to see they were getting. You can adjust the temp for your area climate. I made a chicken wire top little brooder. Set the pads (I had two of them) on top, with a thin piece of plywood over that and a old blanket on top of that to trap the heat in. It worked great. Easy way of checking the temp from the controller. When the chicks had their feathers, we moved them to a temp run that butted up next to the regular pen, so all the chickens can see each other. I then moved my heating pads to the chick run and put them on the ground. First i wrapped some alumium foil around thin wood and put that down on the ground, then the heating pad. with wood shavings on top of that so the heat raidated up. I put a card board box over all of that so the chicks could get out of the sun during the day and at night they would all snuggle under it on the heating pad at night. When it warmed up i pulled out the pad. It was nice to have the control of the heat pad. We had cold weather mixed in with the spring warmth so i was able to adjust for the weather. At 8 weeks i cut a little door between the chick run and regular chicken yard so the little ones could explore the new home and could get away from the older chicks. At 12wks they are in big yard with their own feeder with starter for a few more weeks.View attachment 2225130View attachment 2225130View attachment 2225131View attachment 2225149
I like your home made waterer too. Thats cleaver. How did you make it. I can't see what the bottle is sitting on top of.

I just made four PVC pipe feeders which are the best! Less waste and no crap!! I have one 4 inch inside the coop and two 3" in the run for 6 hens. I also made a 2" one for my two 8 week old Polish girls.

Attachments

• 20200630_181626.jpg
    20200630_181626.jpg
    597.4 KB · Views: 5
  • 20200619_203220.jpg
    20200619_203220.jpg
    369.3 KB · Views: 3
  • 20200613_155919.jpg
    20200613_155919.jpg
    470.1 KB · Views: 3
  • 20200702_141704.jpg
    20200702_141704.jpg
    737.5 KB · Views: 3
I did something simular with a 5 gallon bucket. Its working great. We have only 5 chickens. I went in partners with a neighbor and got 20 chicks. I kept 5 rest went to neighbors
We also redid the chicken coop. Ripped out the boxes and now have 3 oil pans on a shelf for nest
Works great. The little ones use two of them to sleep in since big ones won't let them roost with them lol

Back
Top Bottom