Heat lamps for California central valley winter?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by duncan427, Oct 16, 2011.

1. duncan427

duncan427 New Egg

Oct 16, 2011
    As we prepare for the moderate winter here in central CA, I was wondering whether we need a heat source for our five 2-year-old girls? We used a heat lamp as they were young and in our backyard coup. We often get down to the low 30's. Thanks.

2. ray2310

ray2310 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2009
    Smithfield, PA
  3. debs_flock

debs_flock Overrun With Chickens

Sep 14, 2011
    Shingle Springs, CA
    I live in the foothills above you (Lake Tahoe direction), I've never needed to put heat over a fully feathered chicken. Your girls will be fine as long as they are kept dry and out of the wind.

Deb

4. TheSpiceGirls

TheSpiceGirls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    Yea, unless you have some smaller breeds that don't have lots of feathers, I think you'll be fine w/ out added heat. Make sure your coop is tight and that they are safe and protected at night and out of the wind and elements.

I'm over the hill in the Bay Area and I don't supplement. I feel bad for them when it's cold at night but then I look at look at photos of hens living in the snow and I realize that they are just fine. I will make them some warm oatmeal or give them cracked corn when it's really chilly.

i don't think you need to supplement with heat.

But if you decide to do so, don't stop. And if the power goes out, be prepared to bring your girls in where it's warm. That would be a bigger shock to them to have heat and then suddenly not have heat.

5. jeepguy982001

jeepguy982001 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2011
    athens, wv
    lol i live in wv and yea its cold and snows and i dont add heat just make sure the coup doesn't have drafts and they should be fine.[​IMG] Plus the bad part about adding heat if they get used to it and you lose power they are more likely to freeze to death.

6. Tracydr

Tracydr Chillin' With My Peeps

I didn't use heat lamps in N. CO, not even when it got -30 with -65 below wind chills. I don't think heat lamps are healthy. I would only use them in extreme cold with breeds prone to frostbite or breeds like Silkies. Otherwise, only in chicks or hospital brooder.
    Extreme cold, to me is well below zero, like -20 or -30 for sustained periods of time.

7. duncan427

duncan427 New Egg

Oct 16, 2011
    Thanks, all! Yep, this is the forum for me! This article you recommended answered my question and quieted my concerns for my girls.

8. Carolyn227

Carolyn227 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2011
    This has been very helpful for me! I'm not going to plan to add in heat lamps in our coop. I was stressing about how to add it in and keep it safe for the ladies, but I'm just going to keep the heat lamp for when we get new babies in the spring.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by