Heat lamps for newbie

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chuffedchick, Feb 28, 2016.

1. chuffedchick

chuffedchick New Egg

Feb 27, 2016
    Hi everyone. I am new to baby chicks. I have my infra red heat lamp set up over my babies. But i am worried about my son burning himself by touching it. The light i have does not have a guard. Am i able to put some chicken wire around it somehow to guard it? I have tried searching it but got no results.

2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Chicken wire would probably be fine - but if you are very worried you might consider a brooder plate instead of a heat lamp. The Brinsea EcoGlow 20 would be one great example of a brooder plate. You can't burn yourself on it, it uses less than 1/10th of the electricity, it allows the chicks to have a natural light cycle instead of 24/7 light, and best of all it can't ever start a brooder fire. I know I sound like some kind of salesman for Brinsea, but I swear, I got one for a present this past Christmas and it's probably one of the best presents I've ever received. I'm planning on getting myself a 50 Chick version the minute I can get my hands on the money for it.

3. chuffedchick

chuffedchick New Egg

Feb 27, 2016
    Thanks for the reply. These will be my only lot of babies. I looked into it but it was a bit pricey for 3 baby chicks.

4. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
  5. chuffedchick

chuffedchick New Egg

Feb 27, 2016
    Mmm interesting. Thanks for the idea.

6. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

7. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    You are right there! Sunbeam has two models that fit the bill. One, the one I use, has a button for keeping it on continuously, and digital controls from 1- 6 which I like for making small temperature changes. The one that @henless found doesn't even have the auto-off feature, which is nice, it turns itself back on to the last setting after a power interruption, but only has low, medium and high for settings. I found the small Sunbeam one which I use at Walmart. You have to read the box and make sure that it has the capability of staying on but it's nice to have. The larger one I use I got from Amazon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by