Heat lamps for uk winters

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by inbarcation, Aug 6, 2013.

1. inbarcation

inbarcation Out Of The Brooder

Jul 30, 2013
    uk
    Hi I know this has been spoken about before, but do you think I should put a heat lamp in my coop if the temperature falls below 0", and if so can anyone recommend a make and model suitable to fit a coop for 3-5 birds as the lenght of most lamps I've seen are to long.
    Thanks

2. Bullitt

Bullitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas
    If it only occassionally falls below 0 Celcius, I wouldn't think you would need a heat lamp. I don't think it is worth the effort.

Some people also put a light in the coop to get more eggs from their hens, because it tricks the hens into thinking the days are longer than they actually are. That may be something to think about in the rainy UK.

What breed or breeds of hens do you have? I would think you would do well with a British breed such as Oprington or Sussex.

1 person likes this.
  3. inbarcation

Jul 30, 2013
    uk
    Thanks for that, I have not actually got them for another 2 weeks, they are actually rescued battery hens! I'm just getting ready for them, I have just put there new coop up today,I'm not sure but I think battery hens are a hybrid, rhode island red crossed with ? Not 100℅ sure.
    So I'm in the learning process so need to know best feeders,waterers,bedding,pest control, the whole nine yards really

4. inbarcation

Jul 30, 2013
    uk
    Thanks for that, I have not actually got them for another 2 weeks, they are actually rescued battery hens! I'm just getting ready for them, I have just put there new coop up today,I'm not sure but I think battery hens are a hybrid, rhode island red crossed with ? Not 100℅ sure. So I'm in the learning process so need to know best feeders,waterers,bedding,pest control, the whole nine yards really.

5. Bullitt

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas
    Battery hens can be different breeds of hens. If they are white-egg layers they are probably White Leghorns, and if they are brown-egg layers they are probably Production Reds, which is a result of mixing Rhode Island Red with other breeds.

You said you have a coop and you plan to have three to five hens. You just need to provide them water each day and feed, which can be a variety of things, from feed bought at a store to grain grown or purchased from a local farmer. This will require a simple feeder and a simple waterer. You could even use two pans. Chickens are pretty simple to care for.

You can use straw to put in the nest boxes, and you will need to occassionally clean out the nest boxes and put in clean staw.

I am not sure what kind of pests you may have to deal with in the UK. If you have fleas, I suggest food-grade diatomaceous earth (DE). It will kill fleas without harming the chickens.

If possible, allow the hens to walk around freely and scratch at the ground. This is when they are most happy. Or at least have a movable coop that allows the chickens to stratch at the ground.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2013
  6. inbarcation

Jul 30, 2013
    uk
    thanks for that, the main pest in the uk is the red mite ( you may have it there)
    So really they don't need a lot then. There coop is quite a good one there is a good run attached to it plus we have a large garden that is fenced off so I will let them run around free when I am at home.
    How many do you birds do you own?

7. Bullitt

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas
    The diatomaceous earth (DE) will also kill mites. You can just sprinkle some inside the coop and where the hens take dust baths.

It seems you have a good place for your hens. Do you have a farm supply store or pet supply store near where you live? You should be able to find chicken feed at a store like that.

Where I am currently living I cannot have chickens. But I have family members who have chickens of various breeds. I bought a Rhode Island Red rooster for my grandfather recently and he said his hens are happier. I do not know if that is true, but my grandfather seems happier with a rooster.

8. inbarcation

Jul 30, 2013
    uk
    I have a farm shop a couple of miles away and I can't believe how cheap the chicken food is.I can't find diatomaceous earth food grade anywhere, I bet your grandfathers hens are a bit happier the rooster,I would really love to get a nice one in the not to distant future

9. Bullitt

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas
    What part of the UK do you live?

You should be able to find a rooster in your area.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by