Heat lamps in my coop

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by kh48, Oct 29, 2007.

1. kh48

kh48 New Egg

Oct 29, 2007
    Looking for advice for lighting for heat in my coop for winter. Will red heat lamp work or just plane ole 100 watt light bulb be ok. thanks Ken

2. alex

alex Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    a red one gives the sleep...but s white/ bright one just doesn't let them get to bed...i read that somewere

3. jessupfamily

jessupfamily Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2007
    SW Indiana
    Why are you heating your coop? Under normal circumstances heating is not necessary. Chickens adjust to the temps as they change. Extra straw is all we've ever done. We've had chickens during temps as low as -5 and they all were fine, including our bantums.
    Amy J.

4. Arklady

Arklady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2007
    Kansas
    It depends on where your at. I personally don't advocate a heat element in the coop. I just make sure they have a place where they can get out of the direct freezing wind. Chickens grow what I like to call their own woolen underware. If you put heat in there then they tend to grow less feathers than they would have. If for some unknown reason you lose power you will probably lose some birds because they moulted off those feathers they had grown for the coming winter.

If your determined to heat the coop a simple heated waterer will help keep the edge off without over heating.

Like I said before, I personally do not advocate heating a coop. Because of a possible mid winter moult, and the danger of power outage causeing me to lose my birds because of the artificial heat.

Arklady

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by