1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Heat Lamps Melting??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by koakritters, May 9, 2011.

1. koakritters

koakritters Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2011
    Petaluma
    I had a red heat lamp bulb, and the thing just stopped working, went to unscrew it, well the part that screws into the lamp has MELTED to the lamp!!! [​IMG] has anyone ever had this happen to them before?... i guess i'm off to buy a new bulb, at least my other lamp the chicks are old enough they are no longer using it, but still...

and how do i attempt to get everything out of the other lamp??? It's kinda my dad's lamp that he let me borrow since it has a long neck and can be bent to move the light closer and farther from the chicks.

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I would trash the whole thing.

I would make sure you use a CERAMIC socket next time. I personally use two or three brooder lamps with 100 watt bulbs in them so that I can adjust the temperature easily by turning off lamps. I measure the temps under the lamps.

3. Nambroth

Nambroth Fud Lady

Apr 7, 2011
    Boonies of NY
    My Coop
    Quote:OP: Seconding this! Get a ceramic socket (yes they are a bit more expensive but worth it) and note the rating on the lamp... they should have a rating printed somewhere inside or on the socket indicating the highest wattage you should use. Otherwise you are creating a fire hazard... scary! I have read too many horror stories about brooder fires (and shed/house/coop fires) to mess around, even if it means saving a few dollars...

4. Ms.Frizzle

Ms.Frizzle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Wisconsin
    Was it an real heat lamp you were using, or just a desk lamp with a heat bulb?

5. koakritters

Jan 27, 2011
    Petaluma
    do you know where i could find a ceramic socket? I've never seen them around here. I would think the feed store would have them if they are better to use... I put my regular deak lamp/bulb on them for now- it's 100 watt, so they have something, and it's about 72 in their room so they should be okay for now.

6. ChickensAreSweet

Quote:Home Depot has them for around $12 or so. And my feed store has them for $20.

7. koakritters

Jan 27, 2011
    Petaluma
    it was a real heat lamp

8. ChickensAreSweet

One time a heat lamp exploded when I had it outside under a tarp in the rain, pointing into a hutch. Fortunately the glass shards didn't hurt my chicks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by