Heat lamps VS brooders when raising pheasant chicks.

kartking22

Songster
13 Years
Jan 12, 2008
Wisconsin
There has been some debate on this issue with the best way to keep pheasant chicks warm and happy. I have had good luck with both in the past as long as you give the chicks enough room to roam if they get too hot. I am more happy with using the brooders vs heatlamps only because the brooders use alot less electricity than the heat lamps. The brooders only heat up when heat is needed when the heat lamps are always on.
I'm not sure if anyone even makes the brooders anymore. I was lucky enough to purchase a few of these vintage brooders at a local auction and another that was discarded at the local recycling center. With a few bucks invested to re-wire them, they save me a bunch on my electric bill.
With the fact that pheasant chicks tend to pile when cold, I set the temperature in my brooder at about 101 degrees so the chicks can get warm when needed and run out when too hot. I can set this temp for my chicks because the brooders have a thermostat to regulate the temperature, the heat lamps do not.
Just wondering what everyone else is using and thier chick death rate with either.

I built my own brooders and have had good luck with them.Yes I do use heat lamps for the 1st week and then drop to 100 watt(which are getting harder to find)the 2nd week,75 watt the 3rd,60 4th,40 5th and 25 for the 6th for light more then heat.Each unit is about 2'wx3'deepx18"hi.The one showing the light bulb is a double brooder 4'wx3'dx18"hi.
In N.H.,Tony.

Great idea to build your own brooder Tony. If you are mechanically and electrically inclined to so do, what is the cost of materials to make your own brooder? Just wondering.

Back
Top Bottom