Heat Lamps: When to add them

VolailleAmant

Songster
Jul 26, 2016
Michigan
Hello,
I was wondering when is the best time to add my heat lamps for extra warmth in my coop? We tend to be on the low-budget side of chicken raising {like most}, and would like to hold off the heat lamps as long as possible until coldly needed. I am do realize that I a m sounding sorta abusive this way, I am sorry, but I love my birds and I am doing my best!
love.gif

Thank you in advance!
-VA

Chickens shouldn't need a heat lamp in the winter as long as their coop is free of drafts. It took me forever to find the difference between drafts and well ventilated. Having a few small holes or something up neat the to of the coop above the roost is good but you don't want cold air blowing directly on your birds. Hope this helps!

MW

Chickens shouldn't need a heat lamp in the winter as long as their coop is free of drafts. It took me forever to find the difference between drafts and well ventilated. Having a few small holes or something up neat the to of the coop above the roost is good but you don't want cold air blowing directly on your birds. Hope this helps!

MW

I have a few drafts......the front window was knocked out [accidentally] am replaced with chicken wire.....Now I just want them to be warm enough. It gets pretty cold! Is it normal for them to have pinkish feet?
Thank you!
-VA

Quote: So, is the window very big and is it up high or down around where the chickens are? If cold air can blow in on them then yes, you need to cover it before winter. Even if you just use a temporary tarp or trash/feed bag. Then they should be fine. Ventilation IS important though because if it gets too wet in there(and believe me, without good ventilation, with poop, water, and the chickens themselves IT WILL) your chicken's combs are libel to get frostbite.

Roosters will get pinkish feet, sometimes streaks, when they are upset or exited. As for the hens, they may be going through a molt(or getting ready to). Pink feet shouldn't be a problem. I wouldn't worry about it.

Now, I'm definitely no expert on any of this. I'm just a teenager who's had chickens for maybe 5 or 6 years. I have done a ton of research on chickens though and read extensively on many topics including winterizing chickens. I'm here both to learn and help but just so you know I might be very wrong(and if I am please tell me).

Hopefully this helps!

I have a few drafts......the front window was knocked out [accidentally] am replaced with chicken wire.....Now I just want them to be warm enough. It gets pretty cold! Is it normal for them to have pinkish feet?
Thank you!
-VA
Just curious but how cold is "cold." Are you talking about below zero cold or in the 20's? Also what kind of birds do you have? Are they Mediterranean breeds or English/American? Also how old are your birds?

As a general rule birds over about 6-8 weeks old (fully feathered) in the lower 48 shouldn't need supplemental heat. Birds with large combs are susceptible to frostbite if you have prolonged temperatures below freezing but that can be avoided by protecting their comb with vaseline. I'd be more concerned with keeping their water from freezing so they don't get dehydrated.

Just curious but how cold is "cold." Are you talking about below zero cold or in the 20's? Also what kind of birds do you have? Are they Mediterranean breeds or English/American? Also how old are your birds?

As a general rule birds over about 6-8 weeks old (fully feathered) in the lower 48 shouldn't need supplemental heat. Birds with large combs are susceptible to frostbite if you have prolonged temperatures below freezing but that can be avoided by protecting their comb with vaseline. I'd be more concerned with keeping their water from freezing so they don't get dehydrated.

Okay, I am sorry about that misunderstanding! It is about......Well, early teens. And the wind chills make it feel really cold.
I have Isa Browns, Pekin ducks, and my favorite.....Silkies. My Silkies are about 7 1/2 months, and my Isies are 2?
I usually refill the waterers throughout the day, because it freezes :(
Ha, okay, this might sound a bit OCD, but I like the glow of infrared lights, and the heat it brings (don't get me wrong....I don't sleep out there!) So I might just add the lights at night.
It drops like 5-10* at night in Michigan.
bunch!
Thank you a bunch.
-VA

So, is the window very big and is it up high or down around where the chickens are? If cold air can blow in on them then yes, you need to cover it before winter. Even if you just use a temporary tarp or trash/feed bag. Then they should be fine. Ventilation IS important though because if it gets too wet in there(and believe me, without good ventilation, with poop, water, and the chickens themselves IT WILL) your chicken's combs are libel to get frostbite.

Roosters will get pinkish feet, sometimes streaks, when they are upset or exited. As for the hens, they may be going through a molt(or getting ready to). Pink feet shouldn't be a problem. I wouldn't worry about it.

Now, I'm definitely no expert on any of this. I'm just a teenager who's had chickens for maybe 5 or 6 years. I have done a ton of research on chickens though and read extensively on many topics including winterizing chickens. I'm here both to learn and help but just so you know I might be very wrong(and if I am please tell me).

Hopefully this helps!

I don't have roosters-except for my Silkies. A picture of the front of the coop is included :)
Do you think it is too late for the hens to go though a molt? They say the end of Summer......
Thank you, I am more thankful to someone who isn't all proud that they have a mind full of knowledge of chickens. As the Amish say: Do your best and leave God the rest. Eh? It fits with everything!
Anyway, totally off-subject, but you got your devotion for the day! Lol.

Pink feet: That's one less task to worry about. Thanks.
-VA

Last edited:
Personally I would not add heat. If you must then don't use infrared. Use a modest heat source and one that does not radiate heat like infrared. What ever is in line of infrared will overheat. You don't want to use that kind of heat source at all, you'll cook the birds under it if not start a fire.

Don't get confused by wind chill. It's often used to show how harsh it is outside but your chickens are not roosting outside. They are in a coop. That coop should not have major drafts therefore no wind.

Back
Top Bottom