1. LyonFuzz

LyonFuzz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2008
    South Lyon, Michigan
    Hello,
    I have a small coop housing 3 silkies and 2 mille fleurs. It's only about 6 x4 and has an area to keep their food dry and out of the elements. The ladies seem to snuggle together at nite and have plenty of room, but here in Michigan, I think some form of heat might be necessary when it gets down in the teens. All I can find are 250 watt red heat lamps but I think this would make their coop an oven and I'll end up with roasted chicken and fried eggs:/. Anyone know where to find a lower wattage bulb or have any other suggestions. All welcome! Thank you:D
    Karen

2. muddler6

muddler6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2007
    Jefferson County, PA
    I have the same size coop, I found some 100 watt heat lamp bulbs that I used and they seemed to work fine. Check hardware stores, tractor supply, and walmart. Actually just about any 100 watt bulb will do the trick. I clipped mine to the ceiling rafters in the coop, but I may secure it a little better. I did get a heated bird bath on clearence at Tractor Supply and it worked well last year, I put a gallon jug with a small hole about an inch from the bottom in it every day and it worked very well. One other thing I did was put plastic over the entire run to keep the wind and extreme cold out. I did leave one small area open to let in fresh air. If you click on my page at the bottom in blue you can see my set up last year.

3. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

Heat lamps are so expensive to run. Your silkies might benefit from a 'hot box'- do you know what it is?

4. Picky Chicky

Picky Chicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2008
    Holly Grove, VA
    Our coop is 4x8 with a 250 watt heat lamp hanging from the top. The girls seem to appreciate when I turn it on, but I almost panicked this morning when I saw their coop was at a cold 38.1 degrees (I have an electronic thermometer in there with them). I would keep it on all night but I am afraid of the fire hazzard... so I'm curious what the hot box is... another word for oven? [​IMG]

5. LyonFuzz

LyonFuzz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2008
    South Lyon, Michigan
    Do tell! What is a hot box?

6. LynneP

A 'hot box' is an enclosure you build below the lamp. You can make it of wood or cardboard, though it's generally better to have something solid. An old wooden crate is ideal, if you cut a hole in the top. The birds must be able to enter and exit easily. It lets them gather in a space where there is more heat but is ventilated, and to exit if they'r e too warm...pay attention to fire safety, it doesn't have to be very close to the lamp. Good for cold-sensitive birds. You can put pieces of 4x4 or 2x4 in there to make mini-perches.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2008
  7. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    pssst.... my chickies are outside at -2°F. [​IMG] I'm sure they would love 38°F right now... I know I would, so their water wouldn't freeze. But let them acclimate to the cooler temps naturally and you'll be amazed at how well they do.

8. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    I'm in Michigan and my coop is uninsulated plywood; it's free of drafts, but I do allow air circulation that is adjustable. I have never had a heat lamp, and my birds do just fine (EEs, Penedesenca, Ameraucanas, JerseyXNHR).

9. LynneP

Tori's right, you want a good feathercoat!
    What about the Silkies Tori, any problems with them in winter?
    I'm not worried bout my mutts, they're cold-weather bred...

10. ChandlersChickens

ChandlersChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2008
    Delphos, OH
    So what does everyone do to keep the water from freezing? I'm rackin my brain trying to figure this out. I have no outlets near the coop or even outside the house.
    My husband is trying to find something solar. [​IMG]
    I don't want the light on all night....just something to keep the water thawed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by