Heat Lamps

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by bigredfeather, Dec 6, 2008.

1. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    My 24 Cornish X's are almost 5 weeks old. I have two heat lamps with 250 Watt bulbs in their area of the barn to keep them warm. Last night it got down in the low teens, and this morning they all seemed warm. At this age, can they produce enough body heat to keep themselves warm if I were to remove one of the heat lamps. I want to move one of the heat lamps to my hens coop, which is right beside the Cornish's area. I have limited outlets in the barn. That is why I need to move one the Cornish's lamps in lieu of buying another one for my hens.

Any thoughts?

2. Acre of Blessings

Acre of Blessings Canning/Sewing Addict

Apr 3, 2008
    Axton, VA
    I only use one lamp in our "freezer section" for our Cornish rock x. We have 37 left. I do think they will produce enough heat to stay warm.

You can also toss out some scratch grain in the early night for them. This will help their bodies heat up a little.

3. bigredfeather

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    I have been feeding 12/12 with the feeding time being between 6 pm and 6 am. My thought was that this would keep them active during the coldest part of the day. Their area is completely surrounded by plastic, plywood and straw bails, so they do not know when it is actually daytime.

4. jaku

jaku Chillin' With My Peeps

I kept one heat lamp on my 25 up until I butchered them a couple of weeks ago (I live in Mid-Michigan,) and they did just fine.

5. bigredfeather

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    I think I will move one of them this afternoon. The water was frozen in the hen's area this morning. I put an outlet above where the waterer is because I thought this might be an issue this winter. That should keep it from freezing. The meaties water was not frozen this morning. The heat lamp is in very close proximity to the water in their area.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by