Heat lamps

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by jdmomma, Sep 10, 2016.

1. jdmomma

jdmomma New Egg

Sep 10, 2016
    Hi,
    At what temperatures do you turn on your heat lamps? This is my first winter with chickens. Thanks

2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

Personally I have never used and do not recommend a heat lamp. The constant temperature fluctuations in temperature tend to cause respiratory and other health issues. Only in severely cold climates (below zero) would a heat lamp be useful and even so many folks never use one even in such temps. The truth is that chickens handle cold extremely well, their only real issue being frostbite of the comb, wattles, and toes. (Both of which can easily be prevented by keeping a very well ventilated coop and offering wide roosts.)

Last edited: Sep 11, 2016
  3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - thanks for joining us. You have great advice from QMisha. You could also search "winterising chickens" (or something like that) - there should be lots of threads on the subject from last year, and i believe i saw an active thread this week, so it looks like people have the same concerns that you do, as another winter approaches.

More generally, you'll find lots of info in the Learning Centre https://www.backyardchickens.com/newsearch?search=learning+centre and if you have a specific topic in mind, just type it in the search box - there's a wealth of information on past and present threads.

You may wish to consider joining your state thread as it will put you in touch with other BYC members in your area - https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you

All the best
    CT

Just found this link that my be useful - https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/920320/preparing-your-flock-coop-for-winter

Last edited: Sep 11, 2016
  4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard chickens. It's best NOT to use heat lamps - fire risk in coops is very high. Don't chance it.

5. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas and :welcome. Pleased you joined our community. I agree with the above...once they have their feathers, if they are in a closed coop they generate plenty of body heat. No extra heat source required. Good luck to you!

6. jdmomma

jdmomma New Egg

Sep 10, 2016
    I live where the temperatures can get to -35C. So I'm thinking at some point I will need to heat there coop. I'll see if I can join a local thread and see what people here do. Thanks for all the advice. :)

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

8. Elemes

Elemes Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2016
    WV
    My Coop
    That is cold!! Welcome.
    It only gets down to 0 or safely around there here, and I've got my coop built up to shield it from winds in the winter. I'm only going to use electricity to warm the waterer, best of luck!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by