Heat Lamps

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by AccentOnHakes, Jan 10, 2010.

1. AccentOnHakes

AccentOnHakes Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2009
    What do you clamp them onto? I'm planning on using cardboard boxes, and there is no way I can clamp a lamp onto a box edge..so what do I do?

2. Orpstralope

Orpstralope XL College Raised Eggs

Oct 11, 2009
    Boone
    put a strong wooden chair behind the cardboard or pen and clamp light to it....or some other sturdy fixture

3. AccentOnHakes

Oct 2, 2009
    Yeah...I can think of one chair we're not using....We just throw all the newspaper there and clean it out like once every two weeks when it starts to weight about 5 pounds....

4. rrhall

rrhall Out Of The Brooder

Dec 16, 2009
    SouthWest,Ohio
    I would clamp it to a chair,shelf,or some other sturdy fixture. Once you do get it clamped to something sturdy,I like using a (zip tie)(wire tie) what ever you want to call them to tie the clamp off to the fixture,it does not take much of a bump to knock the lamp off the fixture.The last thing you need is burning something down because of a heat lamp.

5. AccentOnHakes

Oct 2, 2009
    Hmm...good idea, especially since a minor earthquake could happen.

6. felidaet

felidaet Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2008
    Vancouver, Wa.
    Hanging it from the ceiling also works well if you have the brooder setup somewhere that you can put a hook into the ceiling. Don't depend upon just the clamp, they can fail or slip. You should tie a loop in the cord and also tie it from the ceiling. You don't want a fire from a heat lamp falling into the wood shavings.

7. fancbrd4me02

fancbrd4me02 Chillin' With My Peeps

This is what I use. It's made out of wood, and is very simple, yet sturdy and safer than clamping. I hang the lamp from a hook on the top. I do not clamp the lamp, they always fall off if they are clamped sooner or later. The one pictured is the table-top version. (For newborns) I have some larger ones that I use over larger rubbermaid tubs for grower-brooder pens.

[​IMG]

8. aimeeinwv

aimeeinwv Chillin' With My Peeps

We used a chair at one point and used zip ties for more security. Then made sure to keep a good screen over the brooder too, in case it was to drop by accident to prevent fires!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by