1. caracara13

caracara13 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2013
    I am getting ready to bring some chickens home-- 2 hens and one rooster. The coop is for 2-4 chickens. How many heat lamps and what wattage do I need?

2. Haunted55

Haunted55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2012
    Central Maine
    Are we talking chickens or chicks. What's the weather like where you are, what are the lowest night time temps and are they going right into the coop and not a brooder?

3. caracara13

caracara13 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2013
    They are a year and a half. NW PA. For the rest of the year it might get low 20s, high teens at night.

4. Haunted55

Feb 15, 2012
    Central Maine
    Are they coming from a place that had them in a heated coop? Is your coop insulated? If they are from someone local, not housed in a heated coop before, don't bother. They are already acclimated to the temps.. If they are coming from a heated coop, a single 250 watt red bulb should do it, but it may be too much depending on the size of your building. I use outside thermometers that send the temps to a base you can keep inside your house. Wally has them for right around $10.00. There are so many variables you could be dealing with. For your peace of mind try to get the thermometer and it will take any guess work out of the equation.

5. Jo Anne

Jo Anne Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2013
    Golden feather the thermometer you mentioned I would like one who is wally

6. Haunted55

Feb 15, 2012
    Central Maine
    Sorry, lol, it's WalMart, or as a few of us call it, Wally World. They are a relly nice thing to have!

7. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    You don't really need a "heat lamp"
    A couple of normal 100 Watt bulbs in reflector hoods will give you all the heat you need for a lot less money

8. lokua

lokua Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2011
    I also live in western PA and mine have been in an unheated/uninsulated coop from 8 weeks of age on without issue. As long as your coop is dry and draft free they will be fine. If the previous owner used heat I would just do exactly what they did, that is what the birds will be acclimated to.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by