1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Heat Lamps

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by vizslamom, Oct 25, 2013.

1. vizslamom

vizslamom Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2013
    Napa,Ca
    How long do baby chicks need the heat lamp for?

2. Chicks and Hens

Chicks and Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2013
    With my chickens
    At least until they are in thecoop

3. RonC

RonC Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    D/FW
    Depends on the temperature they are being kept at and what they are comfortable with. Mine were in the house at 65 degrees and they stopped using the heat lamp at just over 3 weeks old. They were the only chickens I had so they went to the coop at 4 weeks with night time lows near 50 degrees on some nights. They were feathered except for a few missing on their heads. Most people say when they are fully feathered they are ready for the coop. They will develop feathers quicker if kept at a lower temperature than what is generally recommended however they are pretty fragile for the first two weeks. Just don't make sudden changes in their temperature.

4. vizslamom

Oct 24, 2013
    Napa,Ca
    Mine are kept in the house @ about 65. They are 4 weeks old. I think during the day I will turn the light off....on at night

5. RonC

RonC Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    D/FW
    Do they sleep under or near the light? If not then leave it off or raise it to lower the temperatures. At that age they don't really need the heat but I wouldn't suddenly make a huge change.

6. vizslamom

Oct 24, 2013
    Napa,Ca
    I found them on the other side of the box(its a pumpkin box....like in the stores)Its not an actual heat lamp....its a white light lamp. They lay side by side, but NOT huddle together.

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    At this age I usually shut the light off for several hours during the day, and my birds are brooded in an unheated barn. My reasoning is......when I've had a broody hen raise chicks, by 4 weeks they spend most of the day out from under her, at whatever temp it happens to be outside. I figure my brooder babies can do the same.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by