Heat lamps?

backyardjack

Chirping
5 Years
Oct 25, 2014
England
I was wondering what heat lamp people use whether you have expensive wire covered metal ones or just a cheap plastic bulb holder kind of thing as i'm just wondering if the expensive metal ones are really worth the money you pay for them and do you use the red bulbs or ceramic bulbs? Also what wattage should you use? thank you in advance
smile.png

Tacking on a related question: do chicks have a preference for color? Specifically, I started out with a red heat bulb, but it was defective and blew out in only 3 days. I took it back this morning and just grabbed the first "night" heat bulb on the shelf, which turned out to be a black (blue glow) bulb. Now, I did stick my hand under the lamp and it seems to be producing a good amount of heat. My question is more, how will the chicks react or care about the new black/blue light versus the normal red light?

Tacking on a related question: do chicks have a preference for color? Specifically, I started out with a red heat bulb, but it was defective and blew out in only 3 days. I took it back this morning and just grabbed the first "night" heat bulb on the shelf, which turned out to be a black (blue glow) bulb. Now, I did stick my hand under the lamp and it seems to be producing a good amount of heat. My question is more, how will the chicks react or care about the new black/blue light versus the normal red light?

I know that red is more calming to them, encourages sleep and discourages pecking. I've never researched blue and green lights but you can defiantly try it.

Back
Top Bottom