1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Heat lamps?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by backyardjack, Nov 23, 2014.

1. backyardjack

backyardjack Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2014
    England
    I was wondering what heat lamp people use whether you have expensive wire covered metal ones or just a cheap plastic bulb holder kind of thing as i'm just wondering if the expensive metal ones are really worth the money you pay for them and do you use the red bulbs or ceramic bulbs? Also what wattage should you use? thank you in advance [​IMG]

2. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Hello!

This is what I've always used
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    It gives off heat wonderfully. I've also read the red heat lamps are more soothing to chickens and encourages sleep and discourages bullying.

But I've also know that they are a fire hazard. If you don't want to risk that then I suggest using this.
    [​IMG]
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/products/ecoglow-20-chick-brooder

3. backyardjack

backyardjack Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2014
    England
  4. Spring-Chicken

Spring-Chicken Out Of The Brooder

Sep 1, 2014
    Stone Mountain, GA
    Tacking on a related question: do chicks have a preference for color? Specifically, I started out with a red heat bulb, but it was defective and blew out in only 3 days. I took it back this morning and just grabbed the first "night" heat bulb on the shelf, which turned out to be a black (blue glow) bulb. Now, I did stick my hand under the lamp and it seems to be producing a good amount of heat. My question is more, how will the chicks react or care about the new black/blue light versus the normal red light?

5. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    I know that red is more calming to them, encourages sleep and discourages pecking. I've never researched blue and green lights but you can defiantly try it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by