1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

heat light and my brooder???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by rhythmicgoldfish, Apr 12, 2009.

1. rhythmicgoldfish

rhythmicgoldfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Barrington
    i have a parrot and form what i understand birds need a light and a dark period but the warmth of the brooder (in my living room) is produced by the heat lamp, is this healthy for my chicks?

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    It doesn't seem to bother most of the young ones. If you find you have a problem with pecking it would be worth your while to find a red heat bulb instead of the white.
    They'll get used to periods of light (when y'all are up and the house is lit up) and periods of dark at night sooner with the red bulb too.

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I agree with Gritsar. However, a light the first night or two may be a good idea so they can eat and drink 24/7. Once they get over the stress of shipping, the red light is probably best. The 24/7 light could be a single christmas tree light. They don't need a lot of light to see and the dimmer it is the calmer they seem to be with less pecking.

Just my opinion.

4. ranger4327

ranger4327 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2009
    Northern Maine
    i guess i have that question too. I plan on using a red heat lamp for the brooder, does the lamp stay on 24/7. i would think it would have to, to retain the warm temps the chicks need.....

5. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    The heat lamp stays on 24/7 and red is better.

A separate dim white light for the first night or two is just my idea to see that they eat and especially drink the first couple of days if you use a red light. I have not seen anyone else recommend it. I just want them to build strength as fast as possible after shipping.

6. wings

wings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    Massachusetts
    You're also supposed to turn the light out for half an hour each day so they don't freak out if there's a power outage.

Just a little thing to think about. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by